Barry Bonds Indicted By Federal Grand Jury

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zioxide, Nov 15, 2007.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112487

ESPN also just said on SportsCenter that he could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted on all 5 counts.

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

^Yup. Total waste of time.

Eventhough I don't think pros should be using steroids this is a little ridiculous (even if kids do look up to them as role models). If the government really wants to do something to stop illegal drug use, they should just make pot legal.;)

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Not entirely. It's really more about the principle of honoring the grand jury and its power to have the truth presented to it. Bonds went around that system, and he's going to pay for it. Whether or not the original investigation was worthwhile, now there's where you can say "a waste of time."

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

So do you think President Clinton should've been impeached?

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

As a great big fan of Clinton, I'd have to say "no." However, as someone who values law and order, I'd have to say that it did have its legal merit (he did lie). However, like I said, both this case and Clinton's case were pointless at their onset. That doesn't mean we ought to excuse it.

And, let's also remember that neither one committed a victimless crime. Bonds' actions gave him an unfair advantage over other players. Clinton's crime hurt his wife and their marriage, not to mention their daughter (I don't give a crap about his affairs in terms of politics; it has little to do with his job as president).

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I couldn't speak for him, but...

For receiving a hummer from Monica, no.

For lying under oath, yes.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

So, should he be elected to the HoF? Pete's my hero, btw, right after that essence of high, moral character, Ty Cobb. ;)

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I completely agree with both of you "legally", but both cases just seem like people got bored and were looking for something to do, so they created BS investigations.

If they think that making an example of Bonds by sending him to jail will change anything, they're completely wrong. Pros will just find new techniques, new doctors and new drugs that will make it harder to test positive on.
    If anyone should be taking action its the MLB, and they should strip him of his records and ban him for life.

10. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

If he's convicted, I agree 100%.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe he should go do house arrest with Martha Stewart ...

Just goes to show you, that it isn't worth it to speak to the government. :(

But I do like the Florida Clinic that sold steroids, prescribed by a dentist.

Though Matt Williams took them after he retired, and during the period when he broke his ankle and was trying to come back. The team basically got rid of him anyways, and paid off his contract. So the team is still standing behind him.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Barry is going to have a hard time getting into the HOF, at least in the near future. He will be eligible in 5 years, assuming he retires. I doubt any team will want him now. Depending how this goes he might be in jail in 5 years and not many sports writers like him.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Why would this matter? He's been indicted for perjury, not for using steriods. The MLB doesn't need proof "beyond a resonable doubt," as they are a private organization. They could have stripped his records, banned him, and moved on long ago. Why they didn't is beyond me.

Technically, testifying before a grand jury isn't optional. You can have a lawyer (which you can bet Bonds did) but you must disclose all the details the grand jury asks you to.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He was indicted for lying about using steroids, he said he didn't they have proof he did.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Which is perjury;)

Like I said, the MLB could have given him the boot long ago. Even as a Giants fan, I wish they had. It just ruins the sport for everyone when they don't.

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm not well versed in law, but could he have plead the 5th?
    @Sun Baked
    Im not so sure it pays not to talk -- his doctor served fed pen time for not talking. Not that i agree with it, but it just goes to show you're f'd no matter what you do when the gov is after you.:eek::eek:

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So what do you suggest? Lets do nothing about it and let everyone know there's no real legal punishment for lying under oath to a Federal Grand Jury.

People who lie to the Federal Grand Jury should be found guilty and arrested. Would you consider this a waste of time if he wasn't famous? What if he was less well-known, this had no press coverage, and the US justice system punished a non-famous person the same way.

Nobody is making an example of Barry Bonds. Nobody is using this case to send a message out. Read into it if you want. It just seems rather baseless. There's no proof that the government, or MLB, is out to "get him." He lied to a high level of your justice system. He's being punished, and not unfairly, either.

And yes, MLB should strip him of his record and any chance of a Hall of Fame induction once the formality of convicting Bonds is complete.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm not clear on this, as I haven't become a full lawyer yet:p

However, I do know that the grand jury's investigation is secret, which means that even the witnesses don't know who they're answering questions about. I think there is a provision for the witness to claim the 5th, but Bonds obviously didn't do that; he just lied.

Edit: I believe that one can claim the 5th, but it is question-specific. In most trials/questionings by the police, you can simply remain silent. However, before the grand jury, you must say "I plead the 5th" after each question which you believe will incriminate you.

19. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

There seems to be a huge double standard about lying under oath in todays world. Some get presidential pardons for not telling the truth, others never have anything happen to them, and now they want to send Bonds to jail for up to 30 years?
    This whole investigation stinks, and I just feel that they really are going to make an example of Bonds. Also, this whole thing got press not because Bonds lied, but because the government was bound and determined to clean up pro baseball.

EDIT: I think the real punishment would be for him to lose all his status and records and kicked out,and possibly pay huge fines like I said before. That would negate twenty years of his life. You don´t think thats a punishment?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And why shouldn't baseball be clean? It is a multibillion dollar business.

21. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I never said I didn't think it should but how did this investigation make it clean?

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As people pointed out, he had lawyers and the ability to pay them... if he didn't tell them the truth and have a plan going in on what to do with the obvious questions, it is all his fault.

He had the means to grab competent counsel. It isn't like a McJob dude nailed by perjury for similar statements to a grand jury.

Likely Marion Jones should be a good bar of what happens to someone coming clean on this grand jury. Though I doubt Bonds ever will.

McGwire refused to answer to the questions on steroid use when called before congress after this Balco Grand jury fiasco. Seems like his lawyer was better informed.

---

I doubt very much that Bonds would have sat in jail for refusing to answer the question. It however would have made him look much much worse than McGwire, and likely ended his playing days.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The original investigation was BALCO, that lead to the players.

24. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Right, so they tripped up a few players - But what about all the other 741 active players?
    Well, I guess they got Bonds, so MLB must be clean now.
    This is like saying just because the police make a huge drug bust that their city is now drug-free. :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to defend steroid use or Bonds or lying under oath or anything of the sort, I just feel government money and the time of some of the most powerful people in the US could have been spent more effectively.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This was what prompted MLB to start a drug testing program. If it wasn't for the investigation we would not have gotten anything.