Base 21.5" iMac w/ Fusion Drive, 16GB RAM option worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 50voltphantom, Jan 5, 2013.

1. 50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

With the "perceived performance" increase of the Fusion Drive, would the 16GB RAM upgrade noticeably affect user experience during 'basic' photo and video editing work?

Having played around with a low-end Air and having it feel like a much higher spec'd machine, I would think another 8GB RAM wouldn't be a game-changer in terms of real-world user experience.

2. Bear macrumors G3

It comes down to what you mean by "basic" photo and video and what tools you are using.

Also Air is SSD and the iMac is SSD/HD - depending on how often it need to go to the HD while you're editing will be what determines whether 16GB will be worth it.

On a machine that isn't really user upgradable (at least easily) like the 21.5" iMac, I'd probably err on the side of caution and go with 16GB.

3. 50voltphantom thread starter macrumors regular

50voltphantom

Thanks for your input. I sort of came to the same conclusion after I wrote this. I guess when I say 'basic' I'm talking iPhoto/iMovie projects. When i bought my 2008 iMac I got the 2GB RAM option and now (3 OS releases later) the 4GB I have installed is barely adequate.