Baseball back in DC! w00t!


homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
2,745
0
fig tree
exactly what america needs--more sports teams attracting more overpriced athletes... :rolleyes: but seriously it's good that washington's getting a baseball team. i didnt notice what theyre to be called? im sure it was in there i just didnt see it...good luck in the first season.
 

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
3,124
0
washington dc
they havent picked a name yet. texas still owns the rights to the senator name.

i guess this is a good thing... two teams within 30 minutes of each other though? and the expos suck. bad.

and taxpayers paying for the stadium... i dont think i like it...
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,889
25
Northern Virginia
Glad to hear it, though I was hoping to walk to the Diamond Lake ballpark in Northern Virginia. Will be an interesting few months to see if DC can get the funding for the ballpark.
 

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
5,490
1
Mac since 7.5
I can't wait for DC to have it's own baseball team. Maybe then Peter Angelos will be forced to pony up some cash and field a competitive Orioles team, instead of the sub-.500 team of the past several years.
 

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
301
0
Northern VA
Chip NoVaMac said:
Glad to hear it, though I was hoping to walk to the Diamond Lake ballpark in Northern Virginia. Will be an interesting few months to see if DC can get the funding for the ballpark.
Come on Chip, imagine the traffic on the toll road on game nights! I did a bunch of design work for the DC Office of Planning for the revitalization of Anacostia, and it seems to have alot of big business backing. I bet funding for the park will be no problem.
 

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
301
0
Northern VA
homerjward said:
exactly what america needs--more sports teams attracting more overpriced athletes... :rolleyes: but seriously it's good that washington's getting a baseball team. i didnt notice what theyre to be called? im sure it was in there i just didnt see it...good luck in the first season.
Well, the DC team is actually the Montreal Expos, so there isn't really another team.
 

quidire

macrumors 6502
Speaking as a Maryland resident

I live in Silver Spring (Montgomery County); the DC city limits are about 150 ft from my apartment. (Hell 16th St NW runs past my door (minus the NW after it crosses the line obviously))

I would have continued being an Orioles fan if they didn't have the team in DC; Northern VA is a scary place full of Republicans and gun-owners!

-RS
 

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
2,144
3,924
Toronto
gwuMACaddict said:
and taxpayers paying for the stadium... i dont think i like it...
Well the olympic stadium in Montreal (commonly known as "The Big O") that the Expos played in isn't going to be paid off for another couple of years... if you do the math that's more than 30 years worth of payments. I hope the DC'ers will get a better deal! :eek:

The Expos leaving is all over the news in Canada, complete with tearfull expos fans and kind words by the players. Sadly the attendance numbers in Canada for baseball is pretty weak, and that's what really killed the Expos hopes of staying in Montreal. Not that I blame the fans, the attendance numbers for the Expos and Jays hasn't been the same after the strike 10 years ago. ... Which makes me nervous that the same thing will happen to hockey... :(

<edit> Oh! for a name may I suggest "The Lobbyists"? :) </edit>
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,889
25
Northern Virginia
makisushi said:
Come on Chip, imagine the traffic on the toll road on game nights! I did a bunch of design work for the DC Office of Planning for the revitalization of Anacostia, and it seems to have alot of big business backing. I bet funding for the park will be no problem.
Not much worse than the traffic on the SE-SW Slow-way. Also a reporter at the Post proved that traffic would not be as much an issue as some would think. It would also have fast-tracked the long delayed extension of the Metro Rail to Dulles Airport. On a personal bias, I am in the shadow of where the ball park would have gone. I would have walked to the games. :D

The problem with revitalizing Anacostia is that little thought but lip service is being paid to save affordable housing in that area of DC with this revitalization plan. The poor will be forced out, and the rich will do it on the backs of the poor.

Also the funding for a NOVA ball park is already in place. So is the major piece of land for the ball park. The DC counsel needs to approve the bonds. There is opposition there already. Then Congress would need to approve it. Then they will have to fight the landowners for the property.
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,889
25
Northern Virginia
makisushi said:
Yes we are, so you better stay in Maryland...LOL
Not all of us! :)

I'll miss O's ball park. Great restaurants near by. I wish DC would have gone for the ball park on the land at the old Convention Center. At least there we have a confluence of Metro Rail lines to help with the flow. At least those of us in the DC area will be able to see weeknight games without a 2 to 3 hour drive to Baltimore. At least parking is cheaper in Baltimore.
 

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
21,542
7,801
CT
Why are the Expo fans upset, they were never at the games to support the team, I didn't even know they had fans. I know it helps for a team to be competitive but a team can only succeed if the fans are in it too.
 

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
21,542
7,801
CT
What really killed the Expos was the 1994 strike, they were one of the best teams in baseball that year and had they gone to the World Series I bet the fans would of stayed with it. So in a way MLB helped to kill off the franchise, that could of been a good WS Yankees Expos. Damn you players union.
 

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
897
0
Chicago, IL, USA
i look forward to the annual washington-baltimore series getting nice and ugly in a few years. close proximity rivalries are great.

also, i read an article that suggested the team use the name "the washington grays" in honor of the negro league's homestead grays. apparently, the homestead grays played half their home games in DC, and had a terrific following.
 

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
3,238
0
The West Loop
-How about some names?

"The D.C. Politicos"
"The D.C. Monuments"
"The D.C. Lie, Cheat, and Stealers"
"The D.C. Pork-Barrels"
"The D.C. Amendments"
"The D.C. Arguments"
"The D.C. Sideshows"
 

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
301
0
Northern VA
Chip NoVaMac said:
I'll miss O's ball park.
Camden Yards is seriously one of the best baseball parks out there. And there is nothing better than Boog's BBQ while watching the game. So, for my American League fix, I will venture up to B-more, and for my National Leaque fix there is DC.
 

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,936
165
Madison
powermac666 said:
I can't wait for DC to have it's own baseball team. Maybe then Peter Angelos will be forced to pony up some cash and field a competitive Orioles team, instead of the sub-.500 team of the past several years.
First off, Peter just spent alot of Money this year. He signed Javy Lopez, Palmerio, Ponson, And Tejada. That some serious bucks. Secondly its gonna take alot to compete in the AL east with the Giant Payrolls of NY and Boston.

trebblekicked said:
also, i read an article that suggested the team use the name "the washington grays" in honor of the negro league's homestead grays. apparently, the homestead grays played half their home games in DC, and had a terrific following.
I heard this idea as well from Wilbon, (I think he writes for some washington newspaper.) and I would have to agree that it is an excellent idea. Hopefully they will consider it.
 

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
301
0
Northern VA
Koodauw said:
I heard this idea as well from Wilbon, (I think he writes for some washington newspaper.) and I would have to agree that it is an excellent idea. Hopefully they will consider it.
Wilbon writes for the Washington Post. The Washington Grays is also the pick for the mayor.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
makisushi said:
Camden Yards is seriously one of the best baseball parks out there. And there is nothing better than Boog's BBQ while watching the game. So, for my American League fix, I will venture up to B-more, and for my National Leaque fix there is DC.
Camden Yards is quite nice - use to go up there about once or twice a year when I was living there.

I think it will be great to have a DC team, I just hope the do well enough in their first couple seasons to keep the interest high. If the field gets built in Anacostia - wuuugh....that's not the nicest area by far and it can be a pain to get to.

D
 

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
419
0
Great...now if only baseball wasn't stupid. Never recovered from the strike. I only hope that the same thing doesn't happen with the hockey lockout--it's the last real man's game.