Baseball team apologizes for AOC video

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, May 28, 2019.

1. raqball, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

The Fresno Grizzlies, a minor league baseball team posted a Memorial Day video that they later apologized for. The video at the 3 minute mark mentions enemies of freedom and shows an image of AOC.

While I don't think she is an enemy of freedom it's kind of in-line with the standard rhetoric we see on a daily basis..

The video can be seen here with the controversial remarks an image starting at the 3 minute mark.

Story:

https://sports.yahoo.com/fresno-gri...ez-for-offensive-tribute-video-131328486.html

*snip*

Between games of a Memorial Day doubleheader, the Grizzlies aired what was supposed to be a moving tribute to fallen soldiers, a speech by the late President Ronald Reagan on sacrifice and courage in the name of duty. But as Reagan’s voice mentioned “enemies of freedom,” the video tucked present-day figures, including U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) between images of North Korea’s Kim Jong-Un and the late Fidel Castro of Cuba.

2. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

Well, in fairness, I'd like to see the Venn diagram of AOC supporters and AA baseball fans...

3. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I am not all that familiar with Fresno, CA... Is it a conservative or liberal city?

Based on the video I'd say conservative but a quick search says 40% (D) to 38% (R)... As far as baseball go, not sure which side would comprise the fanbase....

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - did the creators of the video try to associate AOC with dictators? And enemy of freedom? No one should be writing this off as acceptable behavior based on rhetoric these days. That's the problem.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I am not a fan of AOC's dreams & naive views but I will say she should not be compared to Kim at all.

6. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

While I agree to a point it would be nice if liberals adhered to this when the target of such is someone not on their side of the fence....

I did learn earlier that the Fresno team is a AAA affiliate of the Washington Nationals. I briefly looked and could not find a statement from them..

7. samcraig macrumors P6

And your example would be what?

8. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

The 14.3 million posts a day here in PRSI calling Trump Hitler, Nazi ect?...
    The 17.4 million posts a day calling conservatives racists, xenophobes ect?

Not to mention all the (D) elected officials, media, and Obama admin officals comments re: Russian lackey, traitor ect.....

Yes my numbers above might be a few off but you get the point...

Anyways, not interested in word picking nor off-topic posts. I'll edit the post you responded to if it will allow the topic to stay on track...

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm not that surprised, the rhetoric on both sides of the aisle is in the toilet and has been for quite some time now. This includes the politicians and those who support them.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

There is a material difference between an individual making a comment and a corporation including something like this in a Memorial Day message for all of their customers.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I think sports teams, performers and venues who have thousands of fans/spectators with differing views, should really stay away from making political statements period.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, the president wants to have sex with both of them, so I think that, at least on those terms, a comparison is fair.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

AOC is cute. So I don’t blame him there

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Definitely out of line, especially considering Memorial Day.

15. jerwin macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

from here.

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Something to consider amongst all this rhetoric...

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

What is an enemy of freedom? Not being critical of your post, but an attempt to examine what the term means to our forum members. I've always believed that the more civilized we become, the less personal freedoms we possess, because there is less we can do that does not impact someone else.

How about the freedom of a business:
    • who wants to pay Capitalist slave wages or to dump their toxic waste to boost profits?
    • open to the public who wants to deny customers of a specific ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or religion?
    • an owner who demands that it's employees honor the owner's religious beliefs and/or seeks to deny workers certain medical coverage because of their personal religious views?

18. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Speaking of rhetoric...... Her tweets cover a few of the standard liberal keyword talking points... Only men (read: sexist and misogynist) and racist....

If she had just left her response as this: What people don’t (maybe do) realize is when orgs air these hateful messages, my life changes bc of the flood of death threats they inspire. then I'd have agreed with her but oh no, can't do that....

19. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I realize there's an obligation once you've purchased that lifetime ticket on the partisan train, to find fault with anything & everything of those of differing views. But let's take a second to put a face on all this rhetoric. She's doing what she was elected to do, she is saying what she feels she needs to. She's a freshman congressperson from a small district on the literal opposite end of the country, yet she threatens so many that for some reason a video package was made with out of nowhere tying her ( what they couldn't find any unflattering pictures of Omar or "Auntie Maxine" or weren't they considered popular enough to get the desired reaction? ) to known real enemies of the country. Rhetoric that is so over the top, when less can be enough to inspire any number of whack jobs. Whack jobs that have been predominantly what?

Have we seen a rise in female, LGBTQ, or PoC threatening to send bombs to those of different political persuasion we hadn't heard of? Is there documentation showing it hasn't been males mostly, sometimes trading in racism, who target those of the democratic side of the fence? Is she really that off in her sentiments on who threatens her life, because she says things they don't care for?

https://qz.com/1578862/arrests-for-death-threats-against-us-politicians-rose-in-2018/
    Is she really that far off, just because she used words you don't care for?

20. raqball, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019

raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I didn't force her to use the lefts favorite keywords, she did so all on her own... Racist sexist = Blah, blah, blah.... We know, we hear it 17.8 million times a day from the left...

Nothing more than feeding the foaming at the mouth base who believe that garbage...

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The baseball team was wrong to do so.

22. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It is her right to use those words you consider 'lefts favorite keywords' based on your own leanings.

Those words don't seem to trigger others of differing or similar view, just you it seems

It does NOT discount the facts of what she said though, unless you can prove otherwise she's wrong.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Hyperbole noted. Your post, to me, sounds like someone foaming at the mouth over others foaming at the mouth.

24. raqball, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019

raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

And you can't prove they are legit.. She choose to say ALL the threats were from men (that stats don't back that up) and for some odd reason included racism in her tweet tantrums as well...

Standard liberal tactics, nothing else.....

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The country is so politically divided, why risk alienating 50% of your potential customer base?