Basic things that Apple just can´t get right

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BobHail, Aug 31, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

These things are so basic and no brainers so that all the phones have them... except of course iPhone! :mad:

-Delete recent calls one by one (can only delete them all)

-Delete all voice memos at once (can only delete one by one, major pain)

-Delete all pictures at once (can only be deleted by clicking every single photo and then pressing the delete button)

Now here comes the biggest issue. Much bigger even than the antenna issue. I can´t believe no one has complained about this!

-Phone ear speaker volume is way too low

I mean my grandmother can´t heart a thing with iPhone 4, but with her old rusty Nokia she hears just fine, which is much louder as it should be. I have a perfect hearing and it´s very difficult even for me to hear the other person, especially when I´m sitting on a bus or somewhere with background noise. I always have to shout to my friends "what? What? WHAT!? Please speak up!" It´s really embarrassing in public places and even more embarrassing that my friends are getting ammunition to bash my new iPhone! :(:p:apple:

So what is Apple thinking? Why can´t they get the basic things right?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

3. aohus macrumors 68000

such a basic right, but this is just another feature Apple intentionally disables from the user in order to protect their image. They don't want millions of iPhones playing monthly top 40 hits (Kanye, Fiddy, Bieber, etc). They want few select ring tones that when heard, are instantly associated with the iPhone.

4. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I haven't really found a need for the first 3 issues you have, but yes they are things Apple should include, but seriously, not loud enough? The older iPhones sure, they were too quiet, but on the new one, you can always hear it, its usually too loud. It is sensitive to where you position the phone speaker next to your ear though and that can make it seem really quiet even if its only a few mm's off. Also, it could be the people at the other end, if they're not speaking loudly or into the mic properly, it can be really quiet. No, I'm not an Apple apologist, but speaker volume is the one thing they have fixed recently.

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

So true, if one were to make a comprehensive list it would go on and on. I say in most cases it's not that Apple can't, it's that Apple won't. One look at the companies culture of arrogance and elitism, backed by their blatant attitude... “we know what's best for you “ is proof positive that Apple will never get off their high horse.

Furthermore they have their legions of lemmings that will do as their told by uncle Steve, and buy any and all products with that fruity logo. Therefore at the end of the day, they validate uncle Steve's Ego and line his pockets with cash. And that, boys and girls is what Apple is all about.

6. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trust me, I´ve done tests with multiple people and the phone ear speaker is way too low compared to other phones. In public places I always find myself putting finger to my other ear and squeezing the phone tightly to my other ear so I fear it might even break it and trying to find the loudest place. It´s really stupid and embarrassing. :(

7. JonBook Pro macrumors member

What is this supposed to mean? So people that like what Apple is providing are automatically categorized as Steve's lemmings? I don't get that argument.

I respect Jobs for the impact he has done to the computer industry, but I certainly don't revere him as you described.

8. kiantech macrumors regular

9. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

LOL! The original post coming from someone called "wirelessMACUSER" :)

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

A large number of people will don the suits of armor and defend Apple products to their death. Even after Steve stands up in front of the world and say, look we know there is a problem with the design, here is a free fix. there is a good size population that will use the arguments live with it, return, I am not affected so its not a real issue, the issue was blown out of proportion and the most popular one it bag of hurt.

I had 2 ip4s, one with the antenna issue so bad it took 9 seconds from talking to dropping and a prox sensor issue. The second one has the antenna issue but not as bad, the case helps. While I am at home I like to have the phone naked but with this one I still need a case.

Honestly, I have never seen so much protective passion for a company before.

I beleive that is what the other poster was referring to.

11. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

well, you can drag-to-select a bunch of pictures and then batch-delete them

i don't think a 'DELETE ALL PICTURES!' button would make much sense :/

if you really wanna delete _all_ of your pictures at once (no idea why one would need to), you can either select them with this drag-swiping gesture or just do it via your PC / mac.

edit: in case my description doesn't make too much sense, here's someone's video demo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-drLPfuIDY

12. JonBook Pro macrumors member

But in reality, the issue was blown out of proportion. I'm sorry that you have issues with your phone, but both of the iPhones I bought don't suffer from the antenna issue - like the majority of iPhone users. I have experienced the proxmity issue though.

It's probably due in part to the amount of misinformation out there regarding Apple products and how much slack users can get for using them. But everything has a strong base. Just look at how many vocal Android users are popping up.

13. shandyman Suspended

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I might sound like a broken record, but I'd like to add that the iPhone Calendar doesn't synchronize ToDo items from iCal. We're now on version 4.x of iOS - the omission is dumb and amateurish. :mad: How hard can it be?

15. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about? I can´t drag-to-select pictures. I have to click every single one of them one time and then batch delete them, which is annoying. I want "delete all" button like in every other cell phone. And also "delete all" voice memos, which is even more annoying, since I have hundreds of voice memos, that I want to delete them all.

16. tkao2025 macrumors regular

I agree there's issues with the Iphone OS and certainly it's not a perfect phone, so I agree with the original OP.

However you have to look at what are most important for you. I just bought a torch. Great phone, but am returning it because at the end of the day, the Iphone for me is just better. So if you don't like the phone or just have a bad experience with it buy a different product. No one here is saying you need to buy an Iphone or any Apple product for that matter.

17. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I completely agree the earpiece volume is WAYY too low. Never had such a problem with any other phone. I use my bluetooth most of the time because of this.

18. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

You certainly can.
    In your camera roll select the arrow top right.
    Touch and hold pic til grayed out then without releasing your finger drag finger to select.

19. texasipod macrumors newbie

I really hate that I can't delete individual phone calls.

20. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

you open your camera roll, you click that button in the top right corner (that activates the batch-selection mode) and then you click one photo and keep dragging, selecting other pics / videos you want to batch delete or email.

as i said, i don't see a situation where i might desperately need to delete all my photos at once while not having just synced them / having the device plugged into a computer.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

I still hate that you can easily delete a group of emails. Yes - I know I can tag them all then then click delete instead of doing one by one.

What I would like it do be able to select a range of emails either via double clicking or some other method on the first and then the last and then hit delete to kill all the messages between them.

As someone who gets a ton of email and often times ones that I don't need to actually read - it's a pain to have to manually "mark" each one...

22. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah the key was to touch and hold. Did not know that. This certainly helps with the photos. :)

Still "delete all" button would be nice, especially for the Voice Memos! :mad:

23. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

-Mark all emails as read/unread

-Enabling BlueTooth A2DP

24. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

You guys don't get it.

Next year you'll see Scott Forstall, in a video with his classic sincere awe/wonder look saying:"when I was a kid, I used to imagine what it would be like to have custom SMS ringtones, well, it's now a reality, it's actually, real. Sometimes I close my eyes thinking it can't be true, but it is, and Apple brought it to the world, it will change how we interact with SMS tones forever..."

(with a patented Forstall twinkle in his eye)

PS. I love my ip4, but that guy cracks me up.

25. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

My ear speaker is very loud. In fact I have to turn it down in my office if there's someone in the room as they can hear the conversation clearly if I don't.

Either you have a defective phone or a hearing problem.