Batch convert all of my tiffs to jpeg2000 into original folders and subfolders

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TomJak, Jun 9, 2012.

1. TomJak macrumors newbie

Hi,
    so I'm trying to shrink the size of my photo collection. It includes a lot of tiffs and psd files, which are quite big in size, so I decided to convert them all to lossless jpeg2000 so I could store them on cloud.

All I need to do is to:
    1. Batch convert my files to LOSSLESS jpeg2000
    2. Include original COLOR PROFILE. A lot of apps I've tried simply omits the profile (wtf?), so the files are not displayed correctly then. Even the Finder in Snow Leopard do this...Lion is fixed in this matter.
    3. I would like to select a whole folder, which contains another subfolders full of tiffs, psd files, raws etc., the app/script/whatever would filter all those files I need, convert them to jpeg2000 and SAVE IN THE SAME FOLDER AS ORIGINALS AND THEN DELETE THOSE ORIGINALS.

Basically I just need to replace all my tiffs with jpeg2000.

I've tried a bunch of apps, but unfortunately none meets my needs. I don't want to save all the files into new output folder, nor do I need them renamed etc. Maybe I'm stupid, but not even highly recommended apps like GraphicsConverter would do this for me. There is always an output folder...

There was an excellent function in Snow Leopard Preview, where you could right click the opened files and select "save a copy", which would save the file in desired format in the same folder as originals. However, as I wrote, it omits the color profile.:mad:

Thanks for your help!

2. Zh2 macrumors member

Hi,

I wonder if Apple's on board " automator " will do that which you seek?

Regards.

Z

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Disks cost $100 per terabyte. Why bother compressing to a lossy format. Keep the TIFF files.

It you really must compress in place a simple Shell script would work.

4. TomJak thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to store my files on cloud...so I need to save some bandwidth and space.
    I have thought about automator, but I'm really not that good at this. Also I haven't found where I could set the quality of jpeg2000 to lossless in automator.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

You can batch convert with photoshop..... file>automate ;)