"Bathroom bill" (NC and TX) is abusive law against women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Apr 5, 2017.

1. PracticalMac, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The "Bathroom bill" concept, using toilet of birth gender actually endangers women because it allows people who look male to enter women's toilets.

Sixteen-year-old Gavin Grimm (VA) and fifteen-year-old Alex Pettigrew (TX) look and act just like any teenage boy, but biologically they are females.

What was happening in their schools is transgender females had to go to the girls bathroom because they where females, but because they looked like and acted like boys it alarmed the female girls. The school allowed the transgender females to use the boys restroom.
    BY enacting these laws the boy looking transgender females (boy/female) would once again have to use the girls restroom (and changing rooms) once again alarming girls who think a man/male is entering the area (maybe calling the police who will simply tell the frightened girls that "guy" can use the girls restroom)

The flip side is transgender males who look very much like girls have to use the boy restroom will be assaulted because the boys may think they are girls looking for sex (at worse), or gain wrong impression about girls/females in general.

(OH, and a real predator could enter a girls bathroom dressed a man and claim being transgender female, and attack a girl who accepts his lie!)

Ironically, the Roman Empire lasted 1000 years (give or take), and they did not have segregated bathrooms.
    In fact, segregated bathrooms is about 150 years old, so the idea of needing segregated toilets is like saying we need "Colored toilets".

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Transgender is a state of mind which could use psychiatric assistance. Sex = gender = two kinds. Check in your undies. There're innies and outies. That should end the confusion. Outies to the men's room on the left. Innies to the women's room on the right, because women are always right.

This whole transgender nonsense is a triumph of wishful thinking over biology.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

SO, everyone should go naked, end the confusion!
    (cloths are just annoying things, and expensive!)

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Your POV is wishful thinking that all humanity exists in a polar state of gender. There's a growing understanding that gender is not nearly as neat and clear as you'd like it to be. Just as with gay marriage, this genie is not going back into the bottle. The one who will have to adjust their understanding is you. I hope you can manage it.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If you believe that the idea of not segregating the bathrooms is right, then that defeats every argument you made about males potentially harming females anyway.

Then you'll still be putting males wearing dresses in the same bathroom with both males and females. And, you'll still be putting women dressed as men in the same bathroom with other women and men.

So all arguments above defeat each other.

It's either a free-for-all, and they can all be in one room and assault whom ever they choose, or go into separate bathrooms based on their parts.

The men and women signs on the doors should just be replaced by pictures of a penis or vagina. Go in the door that has a picture of what's between your legs. Simple.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No one wants simple they want something to bitch about.

Personally feel the government should stay out of it.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

... when you live in a black & white world.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Well, I suppose if they have both parts (hermaphrodite), then they could use either the penis or vagina door.

And, If they have nothing between their legs, then they probably don't need to worry about it anyway.

There's really only so many options. So yes, it's simple to know what is between your legs. It's either one or the other (unless you have both or nothing).
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    Exactly

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It's a bathroom. People need to use them from time-to-time. Who cares who uses which and why? Primarily you're there to releive yourself and maybe primp a bit. Does sketchy stuff happen in bathrooms? Sure. They can't be video-monitored. So sex, drug-use (the usual suspects) happen, and have happened for a while. Yet a girl who pees standing up or a guy who sits to pee will be the end of the world? Give me a break...

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Glad we have great scientific experts psychology experts all rolled into one human. I thank God every day for such experts

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I have self identified as needing to take a crap and used the restroom that was at the time for just females
    Looks like women are the losers here as some restaurants are making the women's restrooms unisex. And leaving the males alone with the urinals . Who the hell made this such a mess?

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The issue is there is some believe it's a slippery slope. That gender identity is simply a state of mind that no one should stop and question. So what stops me from saying I'm a woman and playing womens basketball? What stops me from applying for a state or federal small business grant for women? If I'm convicted of a crime whats to stop me from demanding I go to a women's prison?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It's a nasty can of worms

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think your inventing problems to justify the arguments.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No it's called follow the bouncing ball. You just happen to be uncomfortable with where this could potentially go so you think I'm "inventing problems". If you don't think this is where this goes, you're foolish. We live in a society were someone is always looking to push the boundaries, we have people successfully suing others for spilling their own coffee in their lap, 40yrs ago no one would have ever imagined something like that would happen. 20yrs ago no one would have thought you could identify with whatever gender you want and that was that, but here we are. I've heard some advocates claim that ones gender identity is enough to determine ones gender. That's a pretty broad brush with zero science to back it up.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You're going to find out what happens under these scenarios one way or another. You can't stop it. We did afterall recently see the news story about a boy wrestling as a girl in Texas.

Do you think there's some way to stop these kinds of questions from arising?

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think as a society we will need to have a discussion and make a decision (might not be popular) how ones gender is determined. If not by biology then by other means.

19. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

If we could have that discussion objectively, then perhaps. But odds are any discussion will revolve around ideology & faith, making it an impossible discussion.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Good luck forcing people into boxes for your own comfort.

That simply isn't going to fly any more.

Honestly, we are already past that point. But it will take a while for the stragglers to catch on.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I wouldn't even let the religious nuts into the discussion to be honest, their hypocrisy is hard to stomach when they take hand picked sections of the bible to follow and ignore the others. Honestly the onus is on those who claim ones gender identity is enough to determine ones gender. If there's science to back that up I'd love to see it.
    Who's forcing anyone into boxes? By asking what makes someone a male or female? We've passed that point based on what? You alone have made that determination for all of society on your own?

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Most schools I've seen have a number of bathrooms. Perhaps these schools should make one of their many bathrooms gender neutral. Considering the low number of trans-people having one bathroom converted doesn't seem like that big of a deal. It's not like it's wasting a bathroom if anyone can use it. This at least solves the school issue. I'm sure it would create an argument about equal numbers of bathrooms and the walk being too far, but honestly it's the most logical solution.

Unfortunately due to sensitivities on both sides there is no easy solution.

I hate to say this but I almost feel like had activists not brought so much attention to this, there wouldn't be so much pushback. Don't ask, don't tell, fly under the radar. Somehow transgender people have managed to use bathrooms for years. I feel like this is a bigger issue than it needs to be.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Based on steps society has recently taken and observations of where we are today and where that's likely to lead is. It is just an opinion.

But from what I've seen, I don't think there's any way ... other than overt repression ... that would keep people, especially our youth, from expressing themselves in ways you don't want to see. People are realizing that old descriptions no longer constrain them, and I believe we'll see more blurring of gender identity, not less.
    Make them all gender neutral. Take out urinals and convert them to stalls. Teach our boys to pee sitting down instead of splashing their urine around like animals.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't think society has taken any steps yet. These cases of minors wanting to use the other genders facilities are all relatively new. I also don't think society has accepted that anyone can wake up and say "I'm X" with ZERO questions asked.