battery %%% acting weird

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gharvell, Oct 25, 2013.

1. gharvell macrumors member

I have just purchased a new 5S which is fantastic...
    BUT, I have a question and this has nevr happened on any of the iPhones I have owed.
    After a complete over night charge, the battery percentages show 99%. But if I turn the phone off and back on the percentage goes to 100%
    What is causing this and is there some way I can correct this...
    Please advise and thanks in advance

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Battery has to be properly calibrated. Happens automatically when you discharge and charge it a couple of times. Nothing to be worried about. Live your life.

3. gharvell thread starter macrumors member

how do you calibrate the battery...

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Drain the battery all the way, then charge fully.

Shouldn't really be necessary. The battery % is just an estimation of the battery, it is not 100% accurate, merely a good indication of the battery's current charge.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and have never done anything special with the battery. It's always shown 100% after a full charge. So has my iPad 2/3.

With my 5s it can show anything from 96% to 100% in the morning. If it's showing less than 100% a restart will then make it show 100%.

It can also show 100% in the morning and the second I take it off charge it can show 97%.

Saying all that, I have no problems with the battery performance. But I think there is definitely something screwy with the battery percentage indicator on the 5s.

6. tekjunkie macrumors 6502

Afaik and I have read a lot about Li-ion batteries is that the percentage u see is actually from the battery. It's digital circuit is what the phone displays. Now when calibrating the battery u are just recalibrating the physical battery levels to those measured my the digital circuitry within the battery. You should calibrate every 40 days or so. I also have seen my phone charge to 100% and remove it from charge and it reads 99%, this is because the charger stops charging and let's it drain. Charging above 80% is hard on the battery as we'll at draining below 20%. You shouldn't ever use your phone on charge either, that why charging cables are short.

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Of course you can use your phone whilst it charges. :rolleyes:

8. tekjunkie macrumors 6502

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Stop spreading FUD...

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well technically it doesn't matter and lithium ion based batteries prefer partial discharges so technically you could use only 10% of the battery and charge it back to full, and you've only used 1/10 of the cycle. Now using the battery to go below 20% all the time isn't that good and just stressed out the battery. Of course once in a while it's okay but not always.

Also as above said, you can still use your device while it's charging, there is no harm done, and yes battery will get warm when in use while charging. I'ved used my phone/tablet/MBP while charging and there is nothing wrong with that.

11. Sekelani macrumors 6502

Sekelani

I'm having the same issues. I've calibrated my battery a few times and when I put my phone on charge for a second it jumps a few percentages up.
    My phone was on 17% then when I charged it, it went to 20%. Then when u took it off it stayed on 20% but started draining fast.

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Here is how you calibrate your battery properly, once this procedure is started t be must be done within 24hrs or the internal battery clock resets and sends a failure report to apple, which then apple will disable your phone with the kill switch.

100 - 99 - Charge back to 100
    100 - 98 - Charge back to 100
    100 - 97 - Charge back to 100
    100 - 96 - Charge back to 100

and so on..

13. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Since this seems to be specific to the 5s, I would imagine it is a battery problem. Apple provides engineering specs to the battery makers and they build it to those specs (different for every phone), but if they have a faulty circuit board, it's likely to affect hundreds of thousands of phones since they are mass produced.

It should NOT be necessary for a user to have to calibrate their battery to make it work properly, Steve Jobs would roll over in his grave if he knew Apple customers were having this many issues with their iPhones. Steve Jobs cared about giving his customers a superior product!!!

14. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

battery %%% acting weird

Yet another reason I turn the battery percentage off. :D

15. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

My battery does the same thing. My 4s as well.