Battery bulge. Want to back up HD on external without losing existing data on ext. HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kleet, Sep 26, 2010.

1. kleet macrumors newbie

Hello,

I apologize if this is not in the correct forum, new here and thought this forum would bring me some help.

My Macbook Pro battery has started bulging out of the bottom, I believe this is because of overheating?
    As much as I want to know more about how to fix this issue, I am more worried about losing my HD as I know a few people who have dealt with this same issue of the battery overheating and their HD essentially breaking (what they told me :confused:)

I have a WD 500 GB HD with about 147 GB used. This HD was originally formatted to FAT 32 in order to play movies through my PS3 which is the original reason why I bought the HD.

I want to partition the external so I can back up my Mac HD without losing data. My original thought is to put all the data on a friends HD, erase my external, then create 2 partitions, one Fat32 and one Mac OS extended journaled. I would like to know if I can use Disk Utility to do this, without having to put all the data on the friends HD.

I have researched this a bit, and found that in the partition window of disk utility, you can click the + button and create a new partition without losing data. I have that option on my Mac HD, but with the external plugged in, I do not have the option to hit the + and also there is no light blue shading telling me how much space is taken up. This seems like the perfect option to partition and back up my HD, but it is not giving me that option. I am running osx 10.5.8 Leopard if that means anything more.
    Here is the site with the tut. I was looking at: http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/6.html

After I get my HD backed up I can deal with the battery issue, but until then feel pretty uneasy that I could lose my HD at any point in time, possibly very soon.

Any information is appreciated, and I apologize for the wall of text here... although I don't really know a shorter way to say it all!

Thanks for any help! :D

EDIT: Browsing these forums a bit more I see a lot of people get replacement batteries from Apple because of this issue depending on warranty/length of ownership/etc. I will call apple in the morning and get more information on the battery issue; just trying to search before I ask... I know what a pain it is for a new member on a forum to not search and ask the same question 20 others did :) But any info. anyone wants to add wouldn't hurt! Thanks

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You can't resize any partitions on the fly other than Mac OS X HFS+.

You're going to have to get another external drive or back up your data someplace else before you repartition.

Barring buying anything new, your original thought is probably the best idea. But make sure that stuff isn't corrupted when you copy it over. That extra time taken will save you a lot of grief.