Battery calibration but 97% health at 3 cycles :s

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Asim91, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Asim91 macrumors newbie

Ok iv had my macbook pro for about 3 days.. i was reading up the other day and found out i needed to calibrate the battery so i did. however after doing it the health of my battery dropped from between 99-100% to 97% at only 3 cycles is this normal or do i have a problem on my hands... im not sure what to do because im still new.

Thanks in advance

2. bamf macrumors 6502

You should move this to the Macbook Pro forum instead of the Mac Pro forum.

Your battery is fine though. It will fluctuate it's health substantially over the first few cycles. Later, you will calibrate it again and it will go back to 99 or 100%.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Actually you read wrong ;).

Calibrating simply helps the internal guage of the amount of 'juice' left in the battery be more accurate and official Apple documentation says that they recommend doing this once a month...so 3 days would have been premature.

Honestly, you don't NEED to do this at all. Since you are new I will forgive you LOL, but you will learn that there is nothing that you NEED to do to your laptop or any Apple product unless you are having issues. Preventive maintanence is not something Macs need as opposed to Windows machines which need coddling.

There are people who obsess over every little fluctuation in battery life percentage and every stray degree of heat their CPU starts to produce, but just relax and let the system perform as designed and only worry if something doesn't seem right. :)

Only thing you really NEED to do is perform regular backups of your data.
    Enjoy!

4. Asim91 thread starter macrumors newbie

soz i fort it was in the MBP forum but thanks anyway

5. Asim91 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks allot

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

According to that info...you WERE right in doing it within the first week. :)

But still...not a big worry.

My wife had her laptop for about a year before we did a calibration. Had no issues...just read about it here and decided to have her do one. Performs no differently with or without it.