Battery Capacity 87% after 51 cycles, Is this worth an Apple Store Visit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kny3twalker, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

My AppleCare expires on Monday September 6th, and I am wondering if my 87% capacity at 51 battery cycles suggests I should visit an Apple Store this weekend? The closest store is around 25 miles away, so if I would be wasting my time, I would rather not take the trip. My concern is mostly based on my warranty ending. This is a 2009 13" MBP. Thanks

2. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I forgot to mention that I have tried calibration a few times recently. So do I have reason for concern or am I wasting Apple's and my own time?

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Lets ask Apple:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

(looks at your battery totals)
    (looks at Apple's thresholds)

No, this is not worth a trip.

4. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I understand the thresholds. Yet 51 charges is no where close to 1000, and my battery is at 87% capacity.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

//shrug

You can make an appointment if you want. I'm sure they'll take a look at it. More than likely, Their little battery program will see your battery is > 79% capacity but < 1000 cycles and send you on your way.

6. tim100 macrumors 65816

not the point

i post a similar post about battery capacity dropping early in its life. he will reach 80% far sooner than most at this current pace. i would consider going to apple.

7. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Just go to Apple once your battery capacity is less than 80%. Then you have tangible evidence and won't be wasting your time.

8. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Mine is at 99% after 35 cycles. Use that as a reference.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries are not covered by AppleCare, anyway. They're only replaced if defective. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

10. seydurin macrumors member

dont listen to those other guys. I think you definitely have a lemon there. They will give you a new battery if you take it in.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not if it doesn't meet the criteria for being defective.

12. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I thought Apple will only cover the battery while you have AppleCare.

EDIT: The technical support representative, I spoke with, told me this.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, read the battery faq link I posted.

14. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

So after my AppleCare is expired, I may still be eligible for a replacement battery if my battery does not have 80% capacity at 1000 charge cycles?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct.

16. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I read the FAQ and apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html, but the website uses vague terms such as UP TO.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you see this?

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Usually "up to" means that if your battery has 1,000 cycles or fewer and has more than 80%, your battery isn't defective. While 87%/~50 cycles might seem alarming, you have to remember that the rate of decay isn't strictly linear.

That being said, I think if you were very polite and explained your concerns to a genius, they would probably be willing to help you if they were in the right mood. It's really hard to predict of course, because each genius has a different temperament.

I assume by your OP that you have no Applecare and that you bought this notebook on September 7th of last year. Did you buy the mbp, IN FULL, on a single credit card? If you did, you may want to look into your credit card company's extended warranty policy. My Mastercard, for instance, automatically extends any warranty for computers and phones by an extra year at no cost (it also usually doesn't require registration, just proof of purchase). I mention this because if the battery continues to worsen, and the mbp is out of warranty, you might be able to get your credit card company to cover the cost of the battery. Look into all of these factors before deciding to make the trip by the 6th.

19. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

It was purchased with a VISA card. I think I may just make the trip. Whether or not, the Apple Store replaces the battery, it may be worth my peace of mind, and I can hopefully get clarification about the terms of service for batteries.

GGJstudios, I did read that. Thanks

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If it was, I think you should definitely look up your Visa card's policy on extended warranties. At the very least, you'll have an idea of your options in case you get turned down at the Genius Bar.

I think that's probably best if you're going to feel better about the situation as a result of the trip. Be sure to make an appointment. ;) :)

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Or buy AppleCare . I couldn't imagine skipping that.

22. cookieronster macrumors member

quoted for truth. buy applecare.

23. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I thought AppleCare did not cover batteries. There seems to be quite a bit of conflicting information. I have thought about AppleCare, but if they do not cover batteries, I doubt I will purchase it.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare does NOT cover batteries! See post #17

25. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

even though Applecare doesn't cover batteries get it anyway (and if you are dependent on your MacBook Pro then get ProCare too)