Battery Charge Cycles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rossagues, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Rossagues macrumors regular

Rossagues

I know I will get scolded for this but what is a charger cycle. My battery is playing up and i am not sure what is going on with it.

With a relatively new battery, I have been told I have an abnormal amount of cycles on my battery.

Take into account that I use this Macbook Pro all day long, but I do turn it off at nights.

What can I do to prevent so many cycles. Which is the best for the battery.

Keep it on power from the adapter all the time?

or

Charge the battery to 100% and then use the MacBook Pro until 1%?

I have had my MacBook Pro three years and still fail to understand this battery.

Thanks,

Ross

Here is an example of the battery stats:
    [​IMG]

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

A cycle is charging then discharging. If you were to take a fully-charged battery and fully discharge it, that would be one full cycle.

If you were to take a fully charged battery and discharge it to 75%, then recharge it back to 100%, that would be 1/4 cycle.

If you want to avoid cycles - keep it plugged in.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

But don't keep your battery plugged in all that time; that's not good for it. It needs to be used in order to stay healthy. You should try to run from the battery once or twice a week. It doesn't have to be a full cycle, but it's important not to have it plugged in all the time.

The best way to use your computer is to plug it in when you can, and use the battery when you need to. It's relatively pointless to worry about how many cycles are on the battery. You can always get a replacement battery later on. In the grand scheme of things, they're not all that expensive. Just enjoy using your computer and stop worrying so much. :)