All iPads Battery consumed but doesn’t fail test

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sananda, Aug 12, 2019.

1. sananda macrumors 68020

I took my iPad Air (orginal) to an Apple Store today because I thought the battery life was getting bad and it might be a good idea to get a new battery.

The diagnostics said the battery was “consumed”. I asked how much to get a new battery. They said they replace the unit and that would be £228. If I wait until the battery fails the diagnostic test, I will pay £89.

Can anyone help me with these terms? What does “consumed” mean for Apple? And why doesn’t consumed mean it has failed the test?

Thanks

2. UncleBillVT macrumors newbie

I work at BestBuy in the U.S. and we replace iPhone batteries. When an iPhone battery has less than 80% of its original design capacity, Apple considers it to be consumed and it should be replaced for best performance. This is the end stage of a normal battery‘s lifecycle, essentially wear and tear.

If something “goes wrong” with the battery that greatly diminishes its capacity, then it’s failed. This is a manufacturers defect that is more of a warranty issue.

If it is already showing as consumed, it’s not very likely that it will fail , at least not for quite a while.

Again, this is specific to iPhone batteries in the U.S.

3. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info.

After reading your comment that a consumed battery should be replaced for best performance, I decided to contact Apple Support. They said “it does look like we won’t replace it for the battery price until it goes from consumed over to failure.”

Perhaps I’ll have to get a power bank.

4. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

Bad luck?

5. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

Lol just keep running it down to zero and charge it to like 20%...and just keep doing that until the battery craps out...

Sounds like Apple is trying to get out of replacing the iPad for the battery replacement fee

Apple thought it was a good idea to glue the iPad together which makes battery replacement difficult. They just replace the device with a refurb when the battery wears out. Some third party shops replace batteries in iPads, but YMMV if you go that route. You might want to try a different apple store or go to the same one and get a different Genius technician. Maybe they will look at your situation differently.

6. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

Policy, I think.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2019 ---
    Yeah, I’ll just keep using it until the battery fails.