Battery corrosion - iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by filmfanatic24, Feb 19, 2013.

1. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

Back when I had a 4S I dropped it in some liquid and stupidly plugged it in. The battery corroded and got super hot anytime it was on. It would barely keep a charge for an hour.

I now have had a 5 since launch and had no issues with it. Yesterday, randomly, it started getting very hot while in operation. I haven't particularly noticed any issues with holding a charge...yet. There has been no water damage to it whatsoever. When I look at the lightning connector inside the phone it looks a little brown and cracked.

So, the question is, if I take this in to the Apple Store and there are no water censors tripped, will they replace it under warranty? Or, is battery corrosion considered water damage even without anything tripped?

2. syd430 Guest

If you didn't drop it in water, I doubt it's getting hot for the same reason that your 4S did.

And if the water sensors arnt tripped they shjould replace it on the basis of the marks on the lightning connector and your claims of over heating. Just make sure you bring the connector too.

The other thing that might of happened is that it got water damage by moisture in the air if you leave your iphone in the bathroom while taking a shower

3. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked the Sim card water censor and didn't see that it was tripped (assuming I was looking at the right thing).

I would own up if something actually happend to the phone, but if water got in contact with it somehow I would be shocked.

I fully charged it and powered it off and am leaving it off for an hour or so.

4. syd430, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013

syd430 Guest

I believe there is more than one sensor at different locations.

Here are two possible locations (pink dots) , though it seems a bit odd that they are so close together:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/23/this-is-how-apple-knows-you-dropped-your-iphone-in-water/

Also prev models:

http://osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/water-damage-indicator.gif

I wasn't saying that you wouldn't. I just meant that sometimes it's possilble for moisture to get in without even realizing. Shower steam and very sweaty palms are two possible causes and has been known to trip sensors in some cases.

5. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if the interior sensors are tripped without me actually dropping it in water I'm going to be pissed.

Something goofy is going on though. After turning the phone back on, with no applications on (I double checked) it is showing 1 hour of usage and 1 hour of standby time. I haven't used the phone every second it's been on!

Maybe I need to do a software restore?

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Sounds like an app is running in the background and hogging your CPU and thus the usage time.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Don't be pissed, just find out who has water damaged your iPhone without telling you. Liquid indicators don't just turn red for the hell of it, you know.

8. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

If they turn red because of humidity that's pretty ridiculous.

9. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

So you think because the back of your phone gets hot that the battery has corrosion? Looks like apple owes everyone a new iPhone because every phone does this.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Only extreme levels of humidity, yes, but that's pretty rare. The most likely cause of a red indicator that you're not aware of is somebody spilling a drink or something on your phone and not telling you.

11. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I just know that the last time it got this hot was when I did have corosion on the 4S.

It also doesn't look like there is just lint in the dock connector slot.

12. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you upload a macro shot of the dock connector we may be able to tell you what's up :).

13. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did a hard reset (holding the home and lock button together until reset) and then updated iOS. Seems like it's running cool and normal now. I wonder if I had the Exchange bug?

14. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

15. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Your thread is interesting. Here is my 2 cents on this one. On the apple iphone 5 you only have 1 liquid indicator as said on apples website. This is in the SIM card tray. It's a white small disc shape. If its red or pink then it's been tripped if its white then it's fine. So going on the basis of this and it's not been tripped. I do not see why apple shouldn't replace your handset for free.

16. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I was going to ask that. Was your iOS 6 at 6.1.1 or lower and you sync with Exchange using native Activesync? If so and you're now on 6.1.2 now then you're good.