Battery does not charge after (small) water spill (in corner the power connects to)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by The12thMonkey, Jul 17, 2009.

1. The12thMonkey macrumors newbie

Hey there!
    Problem is: the upper right corner of my MacBook got a bit wet. Not having realised the liquid got inside, I left it running.

Now:
    - the battery does not charge :(
    - laptop still runs on battery with normal battery life
    - laptop runs on external power:
    - w/o battery incerted
    - w/ battery incerted.
    In the latter case (running on external power w/ battery incerted) it does not charge but also does not drain the battery. Same if sent to sleep. Also the green/red adaptor LED does not go on or off.

Both the adaptor and the battery behave perfectly fine in a friend's MacBook.

Any advice what I could try to do next?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

3. The12thMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Troubleshooting possibilities?

Hi Clyde,

thanks a lot for the tipp and the link -- it's quite helpful, and the instructions are fairly detailed!

However, the ifixit website problem description does not 100% match with mine, and also googling for related posts indicates it could also be the logic board/battery connector. Even the heatsink (?!) was mentioned.

Do you/anyone else have any suggestions how to troubleshoot it?

Cheers!

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Clean clean clean.

5. The12thMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem resolved!

thanks a lot everyone, especially Clyde for the tip-off!

Followed the link, ordered the DC-in board, and today opened the lapy and replaced the old one (which was quite visibly fried!). The description on the ifixit link posted was very helpful!

What certainly helped is that the lapy was opened before (to replace the upper case), so it helped with the screws, which are sometimes stuck.

So good to have a MacBook to work with! Realised this once more as I had to deal with the replacement laptop running XP and Fedora Linux...