Battery Drain after jailbreak+unlock of iPhone 4 32 GB! Help please?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thepianocian, Aug 6, 2010.

1. thepianocian macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. For a while I've been..um... forgot that word that means "looking through forums but not having a username or posting". But I've come to the point of not finding any answers for the situation I'm stuck in right now. I hope you guys can help me.

So I bought my phone non-contracted on release day in California. Been using it as an iPod touch pretty much until this past week when the jailbreak/unlock came out. I needed the unlock for T-mobile pretty much. Before the jailbreak/unlock, I was getting battery life of around 3 days, on and off usage. I was super impressed by the battery life of the phone because I was doing a lot and not charging much at all.

However, after I jailbroke and unlocked my phone, I've been getting a 5% per hour drainage consistently on standby. I've done everything I can to try to remedy it and nothing has worked!

So basically here's a list of what I've ALREADY tried with no success:

1. Full cycle charge (drain to nothing and charge to 100%)
    ---a. From cable to computer
    ---b. From cable to outlet
    2. Restore from backup and re-jailbreak+unlock in iOS 4
    3. Restore from backup and re-jailbreak+unlock in iOS 4.0.1
    4. Restore as new phone and re-jailbreak+unlock in iOS 4
    5. Restore as new phone and re-jailbreak+unlock in iOS 4.0.1
    6. Removed Activator, Libhide, PreferenceLoader, and anything SBSettings related
    7. Disabled 3G(I only have EDGE), disabled Wifi, disabled Push, disabled Bluetooth
    8. Not leave anything in the multi-tasking menu (although I don't even think this would affect it)
    9. Low brightness
    10. Reseat the SIM
    11. Coat the SIM edge with nail polish to prevent the metallic coat from grounding the tray
    12. Go insane >=|

Is there anyone out there who can help me?.. Please? I love this phone but I don't like AT&T... =(

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

of course you had better battery usage before if you only used it as an iPod touch, turning on 3G or EDGE for calls and web browsing (plus push notifications and push emails) will decrease the battery more.

[​IMG]

3. kuaiyouming, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

2 things.
    One Jailbreaking shortens the battery life somewhat due to the tasks it does in the background
    2. Turning on cell data is a battery killer.

5. msubugzy macrumors member

6. thepianocian thread starter macrumors newbie

I left the phone on standby with no browsing and no push/notifications on but it still lost 5% per hour. Is this normal?

Oh man... I need the unlock to use T-Mobile, though! So should I restore as new again and rejailbreak again and wait for a better unlock to be released? Because I think only the team behind ultrasn0w is currently active.

Thanks. The jailbreak I tried to remove everything not necessary already but I guess there are other things running I don't know of. However, for cell data I only use EDGE so I never have 3G on. Is that still a battery drainer? Because I'm getting longer battery life on my old 2g phone than this one.

Thanks, haha. I knew that word but for some reason I couldn't think of it through all my anger and frustration.

7. kuaiyouming, Aug 6, 2010
  8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Do you, by chance, have push data on? That would eat your battery life significantly.

9. kuaiyouming, Aug 6, 2010
  10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Push data only affects my battery life harshly when I'm jailbroken. I don't know what it is, but just try it and let us know your results.

11. thepianocian thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have a strong feeling it's the unlock as well. I just think it's slightly ridiculous that my old jailbroken+unlocked iPhone 2g has better battery life with many processes on vs. the iPhone 4 jailbroken+unlocked with most processes off.

12. thepianocian thread starter macrumors newbie

I never use Push or Notifications, and it still drains 5% per hour.