Battery drain faster on ATT iphone 4s vs Verizon ip4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Dec 8, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I got the iPhone 4s(ATT) on release day in October and now my company just switched from Blackberry to iPhone 4s(Verizon) this week.

Battery drain with minimal use of location and wifi, turn off automatic time and date, (and email checked every 15 minutes) was pretty noticeable on ATT iphone. I got the Phone suite Elite 2100 mah charger just because of the battery drain.

I was using ATT today just listening to podcast and battery drain was 25% in 2 hours.

Meanwhile, Verizon idle was 98% in same 2 hours. I used it to make calls for about 30 minutes today and at the end of the day it was about 77 percent.
    I have settings same on both phones including 2 emails adresses.

I dont have the exact scientific tests but I was just surprised that the power consumption(even idle) is quite different.

Anyone else notice this.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Notice what? The stats you posted aren't comparing apples to apples.

Coverage can also affect battery life. It's not just a matter of "settings" or whether your usage was "minimal" (which doesn't really mean anything).

3. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Of course one iPhone will drain faster if you're listening to a podcast while the other is on standby and only used for 30 mins or so.

FAIL

4. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

Indeed, so many variables in play it's tough to disentangle them.

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

It's most likely this.

Did you happen to look at the signal of the two? I know that my phone dies a bit quicker (verizon) when I'm at work cause it's a lead friggin building. My phone is occasionally looking for signal whereas at my house it's got a good 3g signal.

So take that logic and apply it to att vs verizon. If your verizon signal is stronger, the phone will have to search less than att resulting in better battery life.

For what it's worth, I usually have about 2 3g bars on verizon in my building at work (I also sit by the outside window -- there's NO signal in the middle of the bldg). A while ago a co-worker got an ATT iphone 3gs and had to take it back cause he got NO signal ANYWHERE in the building or even outside within 20ft of the building. It was useless to him and I'm sure the battery died QUICK.

6. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, just pulled both the phones off 100% charging status and iphone 4s ATT is already down to 89% and iphone Verizon is at 96%. This is after 2 hours. I am also moving around the city so coverage should not really be a factor(as in staying in one bad ATT zone vs. Verizon zone).

Actually made calls lasting about 15 minutes on Verizon. Didn't touch the ATT iphone.

The first thing that tipped me off was the lack of faster battery drain on iPhone Verizon compared to ATT.

THE BATTERY ISSUE with iOS 5 has been confirmed with 4s as you know. I just thought perhaps the newer iPhone 4s's or perhaps the Verizon chip was contributing to lower battery usage.

That's my question aimed at anyone who has both these phones!

----------

My job takes me to different parts of the city so coverage should not play that big a part since I am not stuck in a zone that favors ATT or Verizon. Plus I get 5 bars at home on both networks.