Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ds705

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
I have a Late 2012 MacBook pro thats on Sierra. I bought a brand new battery for it, and recently have been noticing a huge drain on its battery. I have battery logger and its telling me my battery is in perfect condition and has its max capacity. Whenever I put it to sleep at night it'll be near or at 100% and for today as an example I turned it on 20 hours later and it had 65%. And after 11 minutes of use its at 55%. Is this a Sierra issue, or something wrong with my computer, and ideas would be helpful.
[doublepost=1480562321][/doublepost]30 minutes later and its now at 25% of battery

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I could be wrong, but I thought new batteries need to be conditioned or optimized when they're brand new? Beyond that, I agree with the above poster - was it an official Apple Battery? That could contribute to the issues.

ds705

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
It was a new battery from I think Macsales. I bought it back in July or August and it worked perfectly until recently, so I'm not sure it's a calibration issue or something like that. I checked the battery status and on Batterylogger it says it has a 102% capacity out of a possible 100% and under About this mac the battery condition is normal.

pinhead4ever

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2016
I noticed battery drain also in Sierra in my Macbook air mid-2013. Fix is easy, going back to El Capitan or Mavericks ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.