Battery DRAINING while plugged in for hours. Tapatalk to blame?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tribefan, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Tribefan, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

Tribefan macrumors member

I have had my 4S since launch day. I leave my phone plugged in all day while at work because i listen to streaming radio over my stereo bluetooth headset for nearly 8 hours a day. I use a combination of ESPN Radio, I Heart Radio and Radio.com apps. Been doing this for two years, going back to my 3GS. I have noticed a few times that my 4S battery has DECREASED while plugged in on several occasions.

A little while ago, I noticed that even though my phone had been plugged in since 7:00am, the battery had dropped from 100% to 92% somewhere in the past hour. I had the following apps "open" in the multitasking dock:

ESPN radio (only one "active" at that moment)
    I Heart Radio
    Radio.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    Safari
    Tapatalk
    Settings.

Also, bluetooth was on and active and i was streaming over 3G.

I decided to try closing one app at a time, waiting a few minutes between each one, to see at what point the battery started to increase again. I closed I Heart Radio; no change. I closed Radio.com; no change. Then I closed Tapatalk and the battery started and continued to increase. Hmmm...

I'm assuming that most people on this forum probably use Tapatalk at some point to access the forum instead of Safari. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just wondering if the Tapatalk app could be the common denominator that's causing us to lose battery power even though the phone is plugged in. Any thoughts?

FWIW: I have read the different tips for helping battery life and utilize several of them. I have restored as a new device as well, with little to no change. And I am aware that iOS 5.0.1 will address battery issues, supposedly.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Interesting, although my experience has not pegged Tapatalk as a major battery drainer. In fact, just this past weekend, I used and kept available in the multitasking dock the Tapatalk app and actually got better battery life than usual. Not sure what I did differently because my battery has been pretty good in general so I don't continuously monitor it but I can't say Tapatalk contributed in a negative way.

3. Tribefan thread starter macrumors member

Maybe it was just a coincidence for me then. The next time I experience this issue, I'll start with closing Tapatalk, assuming it's open the next time this happens, and see if I get the same results.