Battery dying and fans blowing every ten minutes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by photogirl3393, Jan 22, 2012.

1. photogirl3393 macrumors newbie

My battery on my macbook pro is dying pretty quickly recently. Im not sure if its what I'm doing on my computer or if its the battery going bad.
    another problem i have been also having recently is the fans blowing like its over heating. Again I'm not sure if its what I'm doing but this happened a couple a months ago and then stopped for awhile.

could i have some help on why its doing this? I'm a poor college student and enrolled in an art school so if my computer dies ill be in trouble.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources, which would account for high heat and quick battery drain.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. photogirl3393 thread starter macrumors newbie

how can i find activity monitor? Thank you for all your help

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor

Or press Command-spacebar, then type: Activity Monitor and press Enter.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

5. photogirl3393 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again.. Should i be worried about my computer? or am i worried over nothing?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you shouldn't be worried, but you do need to find what's causing your issues. So did you follow the directions in my first post?

7. photogirl3393 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i tried my best, I'm not good with computers as you can see. I didn't want to stop any processes without know what they were..

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say anything about stopping a process. I said to look at the processes, sorted by CPU, to see what's consuming your system resources. Please re-read post #2 of this thread.... carefully.