Battery dying quickly - could this have something to do with it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acw9293, Jul 31, 2012.

1. acw9293 macrumors newbie

So my battery has been absolutely terrible the past few days. I went to check my usage stats, and this is what it showed on my 4S: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343765965.614498.jpg
    Does this have anything to do with my dying battery? If not, any ideas?

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

That message means that you plugged in your phone to charge at some point ad unplugged it before it fully charged again. I heard doing that harms the battery.

So always let your battery run to near dead levels before charging again. Plugging in for 5 minutes here and 20 minutes there will damage the battery I believe...

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Respectfully, you heard wrong.

4. acw9293 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, now it's at 28% and I've barely used it since it was at 50-so. Any ideas?

5. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Am I the only one that just barely gets through a day without it dying? I've never found that annoying, but rather a simply unavoidable phenomenon - my phone often just can't last through a whole day.

6. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I plug mine in when I can. Only at night do I charge it to 100% every day.

If I just do normal, light usage, I can make it through a day on less than 50% drain. Lately I have been texting an old friend through iMessage a lot and it absolutely kills the battery. I could no longer make it through the day without charging.

Back to the thought of short, incomplete charges damaging the battery, my 4 is 2 years old and it shows 95% of initial capacity after 308 cycles. Doesn't seem very damaged to me.

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

No, mine would probably die throughout the day too, but I plug it in with my car charger on my way home from work each day. Its a 40 minute drive with traffic, so it usually gets a big bump insuring I have a comfortable amount of battery life for the remainder of the day.

It is also less likely now that my work phone is an iPhone 4S as well, so I use each of them for different things.

8. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Everyone pretty much has to charge their iPhone at least once a day in order for it to make it. If you don't there's no way it'll make it even with decent usage.

9. crashdebris macrumors newbie

Mine makes it every without charging. Unless I am in a secure area that has cell signals blocked, then it dies quick unless I go to airplane mode. I don't make a lot of calls but I play games during breaks, text and moderate surfing during meetings (4-5 hrs a day) and listen to itunes to drown out coworkers while at desk and trying to work. I usually have 25-30% when I get home. At home I rarely use iPhone, my iMac and macbook pro handle most of my needs. Now if I stream pandora, the battery will die quicker.

All in all, I'm happy with the battery on my 4s. My older dumbphones lasted for days between charges, now I charge every night, whether it needs it or not.

10. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

My iPhone 4's battery did much better than my 4S... It was especially better running on iOS 4

11. k3roro macrumors 6502

Have not seen a battery thread since the launch of 4S :cool:

12. cynics macrumors G3

Depends on usage. I've made it more then 2 days when on vacation and not using it. However a normal day gets me about 7 hours of usage and I exceed that.

13. viperGTS macrumors 65816

No disrespect taken. :) I've believed that for a while and would always let my iDevice's charge fully before i used them again. Not to be rude, but do you have a source? I know I didn't but I want to read more into that. :eek:

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Read any article about today LI batteries. Nickel based batteries used years ago had this issue.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Also, just read about current battery technology (lithium-ion) if that interests you. You can find much more detailed information than what Apple provides all over the net.

16. bapesta macrumors newbie

I thought it was quite clear in the menu when it says that usage tiems will be shown when phone is fully charged?

waking up at 730, unplug phone and by the time i get into office at 930, i'm normally down to mid 70's after the morning checking of emails and news round ups

17. mikeo1069 macrumors member

Last few days my battery has drained at an unusually high rate. Today my battery drained about 1% every 5 min (not in use). My iPad also. My thinking is its due to and updated app, but cant figure it out. Both are jailbroken but have not updated any cydia apps recently only iTunes.

Doing a restore now. Hope it fixes it. No one else has this problem recently?

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, there are a few threads on it. Restore as new or simply turn it off and on to stop all processes. Also you can get an app that shows system stats and you can see if something is consuming the CPU.