Battery has expanded, is it covered even when out of warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stateofmind, Mar 3, 2011.

1. stateofmind macrumors regular

This kind of stuff should not be happening, so I am wondering If I am covered even though I am out of the warranty time frame. There was no misuse of the computer, other than maybe keeping it on charge too long, but that is not against any policies.

[​IMG]

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

More than likely, you're out of luck, as that looks like a battery from pre-unibody which is quite long ago. However, if you take it Apple, and ask nicely, you might get it replaced for free. I've heard some geniuses are quite nice about it. You can casually (and politely) mention that the battery in that state is unsafe, and you're worried it might leak and cause injuries.

3. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

WOW that is pretty scary! it looks like it was close enough to exploding. and im not sure if you havent seen videos but youtube is chock-full of people burning out laptop batteries. they are quite explosive!

I would take this to your nearest apple store asap and show what happened. explain that there was no misuse.

Yes apple care would cover this, but even though you are out of apple care the genius's have the ability to repair the issue for free. it just depends on if you get someone in a good enough mood!

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Thats a big safety issue. I would be surprised if they didn't do anything about it. Make sure the computer's top case wasn't warped as a result.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Technically, you're not covered, but I'd take it to the Apple Store and be nice. Apple reps have been known to make exceptions and it's possible you may get a free battery.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is pretty scary. I'd most definitely take it in, it really shouldn't do that.

Make sure to also take your MacBook Pro in as well as they/you may want to check it for any damage related to it.

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Yes, take it in. I took mine in and they replaced it on the spot (about 6 months ago). And do take the computer too, because they will ask for it.

8. dcoulson macrumors member

I had the same problem with a MacBook3,2 (I think - 17" non-unibody from 2007). They replaced the battery at the store for me without any problems. Never hurts to ask.

9. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

take it in, see what they say.
    just need to ask nicely.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, Apple's official policy is that the battery expansion is a safety measure intended to prevent catastrophic failure that could lead to an explosion or fire, and thus this is a normal, albeit rare, form of failure for a battery, and thus not covered.

I can't link you to any documentation regarding that because it was communicated verbally to me, but I work at a third-party dealer and this was official from Apple, specifically intended for me to restate to a customer after I attempted to get a battery like that covered by Apple under AppleCare (not even completely out of warranty).

jW

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

When I took mine in (never under warranty and 3 years old), the guy didn't even flinch, just went in the back and popped a new one in and said have a nice day.

Smile and be grateful. It goes a long way. :)

12. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Just like any tech company, Apple has a safety catch policy. If you can convince them that this is a safety issue, they'll have to choice but to perform a safety catch and take the battery from you. As a result, they'll have to provide you with a replacement.

13. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Battery replacement isn't worth the bad PR of a battery explosion.

14. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

i walked in to apple store with a battery that was just barely swollen on my 08 macbook pro and they replaced it no questions asked.