battery health dropped from 85% to 45% suddenly (and now 0%)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oYx, Jun 14, 2009.

1. oYx macrumors regular

has that happened to anyone? and if so, did apple replace the batt for you?

mine is a late-2007 mbp, 2.4ghz, 17".

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

If you have applecare you may have a case. Sounds like one of the cells in your battery died.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

depending on the cycles of the battery, it should be covered by apple.

4. cit1 Suspended

Sounds typical, I had a 2007 mbp battery go to complete crap on me about a month ago

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yup. Haven't seen it on a Mac but it happened on one of my PCs once. The battery was about 6 months old, then one day out of the blue it started behaving very strangely. It would slowly lose the charge in a perfectly normal manner... 99%... 98%... 97%... then when it hit around 80% it would suddenly start dropping like crazy. 60! 40! *Poof* shutdown. It was like 1/5 of the battery was in perfect health and 4/5 were dead.

6. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

would apple be able to swap out a new batt for me on the spot?

cit1: did you have yours replaced at no charge?

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

They should be able to do it on the spot. Again, if you do indeed have applecare, I'd go to the store and give it a try. Worst thing they'd say is no, but I anticipate they'll replace it at no charge.

Apple's customer service is ridiculously good.

8. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Have you been using the laptop plugged in all the time? have you tried calibrating the battery?

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago. Called Apple and they replaced it.

10. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

i don't use it plugged in all the time.

on average of once a week, the battery gets fully discharged (not done for discharging's sake, but during usage). and in the past couple of weeks, it had suddenly shut off several times, despite the battery reading telling me i have 50 minutes left or so.

glad i have applecare. will visit the apple store soon.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

try to do a full calibration. charge to 100% then after it drains, let it sleep for at least 5 hours (over night) and then charge it back up to 100%

12. batistuta macrumors regular

I will give this a try, as I am having the same issue as the OP.
    MBP rev.4,1 - almost year and a half old. Used mostly plugged in, but suddenly battery helath dropped from around 90% to 40%.
    Also reporting of charging and remaining time, is becoming erratic :-(
    iStat is reporting only 42 cycles on the battery - I guess they should last around 3-500. The new built-in ones should do 1000 cycles!

No AppleCare, but will try to get a replacement due to the low cycle count, under the 2 year warranty (which goes for all products here in Denmark), if the 'calibration' doesn't work.

13. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

does yours have the smc 1.3 update?

the problem seems to have started since that update.

14. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

wow. the batt suddenly became 0%.

the batt icon now has got an 'x' in it. can't think of any good mac os x jokes now though.

this is really worrying. after the smc 1.3 update, my mbp runs a good amount hotter, and now, this. as it is, i need my laptop for daily work. i'm now worried the gpu will die on me, denying me any display.

i've been so happy with the laptop.. up till now. have a feeling that after applecare is over, i'd be shown that this would be the worst computer purchase i've ever made, in terms of cost value! :)

don't take it the wrong way. i still prefer apple computers, but it's a shame my favourite laptop appears to be running so badly. just hope apple will make all of this right.

seems like the soonest available genius appointment here is on wed, and i can't make wed. probably give apple a call and see what's possible.

15. batistuta macrumors regular

Not sitting at the MBP right now, but I am quite sure it does, and that the problems started to occur after this update :-(
    Anyone know of a fix/workaround?

16. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

for the past week or so, the battery went back to showing 45% battery life. however, i finally managed to get the right appointment, and i made the trip to the apple store today.

the very friendly genius booted up my mbp with a diagnostic tool and within seconds, it showed that the battery was bad.

he removed the battery, and to my surprise, it was bloated. i have never noticed that before because my mbp has a speck protective case, so the bottom is always flat and doesn't rock despite the bloated battery.

according to the genius, sony batteries have a likelihood to suffer from that problem. i never knew mine was a sony battery, because it never occurred to me that it mattered so i never checked. searched online, and it seems that there are many cases of bloated sony batteries. the replacement battery is manufactured by smp, which apparently is a more durable battery. would have cost me £77, but applecare took care of that.

i'm trying to calibrate the battery now – trying to run the battery power down after leaving it fully charged for at least 2 hours – and the cpu temperature is about 48°C on average 'idle' (ethernet, wifi off, firefox, adium, vuze, tweetdeck). also using fancontrol with base speed at 2000 rpm (threshold: lower at 40, higher at 70).

the laptop feels cool and quiet, the way it should be.

apple's service is painless (though was slightly hard to get a convenient appointment at the regent street store in london), and applecare makes sense.

17. Advil macrumors 6502a

This happened to me two days ago. Apple replaced it for free under applecare. But my new battery is only 98% health.

18. oYx thread starter macrumors regular

19. Advil macrumors 6502a

Yeah i'm currently running the battery down for the second time to try again

20. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Just FYI, same thing happened to me - 90 to 48% seemingly overnight.

Brought it into Apple store, he hooked up the little diagnostic iPod - booted from it, it has a pretty simple GUI that tells whether the battery has been 'Consumed' or 'Bad' and since mine was bad, they're replacing it for free. Didn't have it in stock so I have to go back to the Apple Store.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As long as you make an appointment.