Battery life appt. w/ Genius tomorrow

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
So I have an appointment with an Apple Genius tomorrow to have my iPhone 5 battery checked out. On average I usually can get around 6-8 hours of usage and half-day to full day of standby from full charge. It can really fluctuate. I have full LTE, WiFi, no bluetooth, most location services and notifications off, push e-mail on, brightness turned way down w/ auto on. I have tried restoring from new and doesn't seem to make much difference if any at all. As of right now I'm at 5 hours 17 minutes usage and 7.5 hours of standby with battery at 24%. I have an eerie feeling they're just going to say its normal, get over it. Perhaps I'm overobsessing over it. Just wondering what you guys think would happen if I do go tomorrow?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
So I have an appointment with an Apple Genius tomorrow to have my iPhone 5 battery checked out. On average I usually can get around 6-8 hours of usage and half-day to full day of standby from full charge. It can really fluctuate. I have full LTE, WiFi, no bluetooth, most location services and notifications off, push e-mail on, brightness turned way down w/ auto on. I have tried restoring from new and doesn't seem to make much difference if any at all. As of right now I'm at 5 hours 17 minutes usage and 7.5 hours of standby with battery at 24%. I have an eerie feeling they're just going to say its normal, get over it. Perhaps I'm overobsessing over it. Just wondering what you guys think would happen if I do go tomorrow?
Sounds normal to me. Apple even quotes up to 8 hours of usage.

Comment

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Alright, that's what I figured. Thank's for your input. I really think I am over obsessing over this.

Comment

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Alright, that's what I figured. Thank's for your input. I really think I am over obsessing over this.
Let it run down to zero and shut itself off. Then recharge. I did this and it's like having a whole new phone. Battery was terrible, now it's great.

Comment

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Let it run down to zero and shut itself off. Then recharge. I did this and it's like having a whole new phone. Battery was terrible, now it's great.
I've tried it and it seemed to help a bit. Will see tomorrow.

Comment

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
You get 6-8 of usage on your battery and you have an appointment to get your battery checked?

You'll be lucky if the genius doesn't punch you in the mouth for needlessly wasting their time.

Comment

sfchky03

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
this is normal, and you have to take note. the lesser signal you get from the LTE tower the higher battery usage you'll get. If you don't get at least 4 signals on the LTE side. you may want to turn it off and put it back on when you are outside and need data badly.

Comment

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
I know they call them "Geniuses" but really, it's just a marketing gimmick. Them Geniuses have no magic. Battery usage is so situation/user dependent that unless the iPhone has a 24x7 built-in log, there is nothing the Genius can do for you other than make you feel better somehow.

Now if after plugin into charger, the phone gets super hot and unable to touch, THEN u got something.

Comment

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Well, I went ahead to the appointment since I was going that direction anyway. I do know about the weak LTE signal causing battery issues and I can attest to that as where I work has weak LTE signal and drains the battery like crazy with little/no usage. I explained everything to him this morning and he basically said that it would be easier to replace the phone which he did. He did note of all the restore's I did and mentioned some program called "ASCD" that was causing memory issues/crashing? He asked me about it and I had no idea what that was. He came back with the small white replacement box, swapped the sim, erased my previous iPhone 5 and was on my way. On a side note he did inspect the black iPhone 5 replacement phone for scratches and even asked me if I wanted to inspect it myself which I did. Well, I guess time will tell, but I am not going back if I get those numbers as I mentioned previously.

Comment

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Well, I went ahead to the appointment since I was going that direction anyway. I do know about the weak LTE signal causing battery issues and I can attest to that as where I work has weak LTE signal and drains the battery like crazy with little/no usage. I explained everything to him this morning and he basically said that it would be easier to replace the phone which he did. He did note of all the restore's I did and mentioned some program called "ASCD" that was causing memory issues/crashing? He asked me about it and I had no idea what that was. He came back with the small white replacement box, swapped the sim, erased my previous iPhone 5 and was on my way. On a side note he did inspect the black iPhone 5 replacement phone for scratches and even asked me if I wanted to inspect it myself which I did. Well, I guess time will tell, but I am not going back if I get those numbers as I mentioned previously.
let us know if you get better life out of the new one.

Comment

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2011
I had a battery issue with my previous iPhone 5 and took it to the genius bar, I was getting 4 hours max. I even made sure I restored it a day prior to avoid the "you need to restore" speech. So when I went, the genius looked at my iPhone and went to do a diagnostics, he came back quickly to say that since I did a restore not too long ago, there isn't much for them to go on :eek: So he did another restore, that didn't solve the problem. :(

I ended up returning my 16gb for a 64gb and I now get 5 hours and 25 mins LOL not a HUGE leap but better than the previous iPhone.

Comment

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Does doing multiple restores hurt the battery?

I'm at 10% battery with 6hrs 32min usage and 1 day 3hrs standby. I assume that's pretty normal

Last edited:
Comment

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012

I'm at 10% battery with 6hrs 32min usage and 1 day 3hrs standby. I assume that's pretty normal
From what I've read multiple restore's shouldn't affect the battery and that sounds about normal. There are so many factors in play here it is really hard to pinpoint what is really affecting battery life.

Comment

Bluphyre

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
If you think you're battery life is bad let me tell you my stats. 4 hours useage 10 standby at 1%

You have it Amazing my friend.

Comment

tsboy69

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
If you think you're battery life is bad let me tell you my stats. 4 hours useage 10 standby at 1%

I don't know that my battery life has been the best, but have gotten into the habit when I know I am going to be out / away from a charger, not using the phone much to turn off the LTE. This has extended the battery a bunch.

The 4G seems plenty fast and if I am going to download or send a video, I will turn it back on.

Comment

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
From what I've read multiple restore's shouldn't affect the battery and that sounds about normal. There are so many factors in play here it is really hard to pinpoint what is really affecting battery life.
To avoid those variables, just spend a day looping the same movie and see how that compares Apple's stated video playback time.

Comment

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Android users will kill for 3.5 hours of screen usage time. 6-8 hours would be like a gift from heaven.

Comment

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
As of right now I'm at 5 hours 17 minutes usage and 7.5 hours of standby with battery at 24%. I have an eerie feeling they're just going to say its normal, get over it. Perhaps I'm overobsessing over it. Just wondering what you guys think would happen if I do go tomorrow?
Sounds completely normal. LTE on? Wifi on?

This is not an issue for a Genius. You may not have a stellar battery but it's just fine.

----------

Personally I do 1-2 battery cycles per month, but I'm not expert. You battery life seems very solid IMHO.

Comment

Bluphyre

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012

I don't know that my battery life has been the best, but have gotten into the habit when I know I am going to be out / away from a charger, not using the phone much to turn off the LTE. This has extended the battery a bunch.

The 4G seems plenty fast and if I am going to download or send a video, I will turn it back on.

I just feel like I shoulda stuck w my ip4 if I wasn't gonna be using the features if it. A far cry from the 8 hours said in the keynote.

Comment

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
I went to my genius appt last week and got a new phone. If you standby and usage numbers are close to the same, then your phone is not going into sleep mode and continuously running the battery. Two things can cause this, one if you didn't setup as a new phone and restored from a backp. There's something corrupt in the backup that's causing the phone not to got to sleep. Te second issue, is if the re-install of iOS 6 and setting up as a new phone doesn't work, then you have a hardware problem with the sleep sense line. That turned out to be my problem, and they gave me a new phone.

Comment

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Though there is much out there that reports to the contrary and I have no proof that it helps -- I still like the idea of "conditioning" the battery. That is the whole drain fully till it turns off and re-charge. I do this once with every new phone I get and then periodically. Even Apple says you should do it like once a month but I think that's more for their software calibration to better report your battery life to you.

I figure conditioning can't hurt it *that* bad (why else would Apple say to do it every month or so) even if it doesn't do anything.

I'd give the new one a few drain/fill cycles before making a comparison to the exchanged one.

Comment