Battery life appt. w/ Genius tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GenderFi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. GenderFi macrumors regular

So I have an appointment with an Apple Genius tomorrow to have my iPhone 5 battery checked out. On average I usually can get around 6-8 hours of usage and half-day to full day of standby from full charge. It can really fluctuate. I have full LTE, WiFi, no bluetooth, most location services and notifications off, push e-mail on, brightness turned way down w/ auto on. I have tried restoring from new and doesn't seem to make much difference if any at all. As of right now I'm at 5 hours 17 minutes usage and 7.5 hours of standby with battery at 24%. I have an eerie feeling they're just going to say its normal, get over it. Perhaps I'm overobsessing over it. Just wondering what you guys think would happen if I do go tomorrow?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Sounds normal to me. Apple even quotes up to 8 hours of usage.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. 6-8 hours of usage is normal. You could have those same stats but that usage spread out and be at a day of stand by time

4. GenderFi thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, that's what I figured. Thank's for your input. I really think I am over obsessing over this.

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Let it run down to zero and shut itself off. Then recharge. I did this and it's like having a whole new phone. Battery was terrible, now it's great.

6. GenderFi thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried it and it seemed to help a bit. Will see tomorrow.

7. alexander25 macrumors regular

and you're complaining? 6-8 hours?

i get 5 if i'm lucky..

8. tl01 macrumors 65816

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

You get 6-8 of usage on your battery and you have an appointment to get your battery checked?

You'll be lucky if the genius doesn't punch you in the mouth for needlessly wasting their time.

10. sfchky03 macrumors newbie

sfchky03

this is normal, and you have to take note. the lesser signal you get from the LTE tower the higher battery usage you'll get. If you don't get at least 4 signals on the LTE side. you may want to turn it off and put it back on when you are outside and need data badly.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I know they call them "Geniuses" but really, it's just a marketing gimmick. Them Geniuses have no magic. Battery usage is so situation/user dependent that unless the iPhone has a 24x7 built-in log, there is nothing the Genius can do for you other than make you feel better somehow.

Now if after plugin into charger, the phone gets super hot and unable to touch, THEN u got something.

12. GenderFi thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I went ahead to the appointment since I was going that direction anyway. I do know about the weak LTE signal causing battery issues and I can attest to that as where I work has weak LTE signal and drains the battery like crazy with little/no usage. I explained everything to him this morning and he basically said that it would be easier to replace the phone which he did. He did note of all the restore's I did and mentioned some program called "ASCD" that was causing memory issues/crashing? He asked me about it and I had no idea what that was. He came back with the small white replacement box, swapped the sim, erased my previous iPhone 5 and was on my way. On a side note he did inspect the black iPhone 5 replacement phone for scratches and even asked me if I wanted to inspect it myself which I did. Well, I guess time will tell, but I am not going back if I get those numbers as I mentioned previously.

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

let us know if you get better life out of the new one.

14. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I had a battery issue with my previous iPhone 5 and took it to the genius bar, I was getting 4 hours max. I even made sure I restored it a day prior to avoid the "you need to restore" speech. So when I went, the genius looked at my iPhone and went to do a diagnostics, he came back quickly to say that since I did a restore not too long ago, there isn't much for them to go on :eek: So he did another restore, that didn't solve the problem. :(

I ended up returning my 16gb for a 64gb and I now get 5 hours and 25 mins LOL not a HUGE leap but better than the previous iPhone.

15. GenderFi thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely keep y'all updated. Almost done charging to full here, about to take it off and run some tests.

16. thenumbersrbad, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Does doing multiple restores hurt the battery?

I'm at 10% battery with 6hrs 32min usage and 1 day 3hrs standby. I assume that's pretty normal

17. GenderFi thread starter macrumors regular

From what I've read multiple restore's shouldn't affect the battery and that sounds about normal. There are so many factors in play here it is really hard to pinpoint what is really affecting battery life.

18. Bluphyre macrumors member

If you think you're battery life is bad let me tell you my stats. 4 hours useage 10 standby at 1%

You have it Amazing my friend.

19. tsboy69 macrumors regular

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

To avoid those variables, just spend a day looping the same movie and see how that compares Apple's stated video playback time.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Android users will kill for 3.5 hours of screen usage time. 6-8 hours would be like a gift from heaven.

22. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Sounds completely normal. LTE on? Wifi on?

This is not an issue for a Genius. You may not have a stellar battery but it's just fine.

----------

Personally I do 1-2 battery cycles per month, but I'm not expert. You battery life seems very solid IMHO.

23. Bluphyre macrumors member

24. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

I went to my genius appt last week and got a new phone. If you standby and usage numbers are close to the same, then your phone is not going into sleep mode and continuously running the battery. Two things can cause this, one if you didn't setup as a new phone and restored from a backp. There's something corrupt in the backup that's causing the phone not to got to sleep. Te second issue, is if the re-install of iOS 6 and setting up as a new phone doesn't work, then you have a hardware problem with the sleep sense line. That turned out to be my problem, and they gave me a new phone.

25. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Though there is much out there that reports to the contrary and I have no proof that it helps -- I still like the idea of "conditioning" the battery. That is the whole drain fully till it turns off and re-charge. I do this once with every new phone I get and then periodically. Even Apple says you should do it like once a month but I think that's more for their software calibration to better report your battery life to you.

I figure conditioning can't hurt it *that* bad (why else would Apple say to do it every month or so) even if it doesn't do anything.

I'd give the new one a few drain/fill cycles before making a comparison to the exchanged one.