Battery life comparison: MBP 2012 (non-retina) 2.3ghz vs. MBP Pro (2011) 2.2ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Newbie MacUser, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

Jun 22, 2012
    I realize this might be an annoying topic for you guys to post on but I was curious about something. I was thinking for those of you that upgraded from a MBP 2011 15" to a MBP 2012 15" with a Hi-Res Display how does the battery life compare? I know the pro's of the 2012 MBP has Ivy bridge w/ lower power consumption and the integrated Intel 4000 and the Discrete NVIDIA Graphics card both also has lower power consumption (and better performance) but the Hi-Res display would naturally negatively affect the battery life. Does anyone have a ballpark estimation of how much either way (plus/minus)?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    They're both rated for approximately the same amount of time. Usage is the determining factor in determining battery life.
  3. SphericalPear macrumors member

Sep 4, 2008
    conventional MBP supposed to be much better.

(full disclosure: i've stocked up on those, so PM me if you're interested in buying one.)
  4. cnymike macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    As the owner of a new mid-2012 2.7GHz quad-core i7 with Hi-Res display, I can speak to this issue.

It had never occurred to me that choosing a Hi-Res display might result in greatly diminished battery life, but apparently that is the case. I'm lucky to get 3.5-4 hours with just light browsing usage. WiFi on, Bluetooth on, Skydrive and Dropbox installed. Screen brightness at about 50%, keyboard backlight very low or off. NO processes hogging CPU time when I look at activity monitor.

I'm really really disappointed at 3.5-4 hour max battery life. Particularly since Apple touts "up to 7 hours battery life."