Battery life improvements? Forget it, they aren't even trying.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blackberryroid, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Correct me if I am wrong, but For the past few keynotes, I have never heard of Apple saying "Dramatically increased in battery life". All I can hear is "It still has the same glorious battery life it had before", which isn't glorious at all. Let me give this to you frankly: The battery life sucks.

They even made the iPhone 5 thinner. All those lost spaces could have been used for more precious battery life, but it seems that thinness is more important than battery life. From what I heard, battery life is the biggest complaint of every iPhone user.

No matter what your phone is, no matter what it can do, it's crap if it has a horrible battery life.

What are your thoughts?

2. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

My experience so far has been great battery life. I unplug every day at 6:30 AM and usually go to bed around 10 and the so far I have an average of about 35% - 40% battery remaining at the end of the day. This is with about 5hrs of actual use on average. Considering I am on LTE most of the day I am satisfied. Easily better than my S3 that I have to plug in at least once during the day for a recharge.

3. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

my IP5's battery life was bad in the very beginning. however, it has gotten a lot better since I have done four full charge/discharge cycles.

now I can easily go all day on a single charge. this says a lot because I use the phone quite a bit throughout the day.

4. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I'm finding that out. I reset and erased the phone to start from scratch as a new phone last night. I'm hoping to see an improvement today with the battery.

Im also not getting a reliable 3G signal with LTE off. It often is in 2G. I'm not sure why but my iPhone 4 usually had a 3G signal.

5. Vengeful macrumors member

Vengeful

this battery is much better then my last phone, i havent had the need to charge it at work, its been lasting me all day.

6. tu4thenguyen macrumors member

7. Allegrotechie macrumors member

Allegrotechie

Actually note true but whatever. Battery life is fantastic

8. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I'm having fantastic battery life too. Yay me!

9. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Hmm the new iPhone has the same battery life with LTE. That's a huge improvement.

Anandtech is getting 8+ hours of browsing on LTE. Android can't keep up with that.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I have little to no complaints about the battery life on my iPhone. Yesterday I streamed a tv show to it, used the GPS (which I have no complaints about it either) for over a half hour, surfed the internet quite a bit while waiting around. Listed to a 45 minute pod cast, streamed pandora to the external speakers (while giving my daughter a bath), took a few phone calls, did some texts, etc. etc. and ended the day with about 10% battery life. That was 5:30AM until I plugged it in last night at 9:30PM. I do not game much (other than Dice with Buddies), which will always be the biggest battery killer. Could they have kept the iPhone 5 the same width as the iPhone 4 and put a huge battery in it? Absolutely. But it also would have added a lot of weight! Frankly I like the size and the battery is adequate. If you are going to use it as a gaming device, either get an external battery pack or take a charger with you.

I haven't had an Android device in about a year now, but back then I couldn't have done half of that without having to charge my device.... Maybe the battery life is better now, but that was probably my biggest complaint about the Android phones. I actually carried two extra batteries with me at all times.

11. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I never noticed battery problems during the week with my iPhone 4S because I had a charger at work and in my car. I plugged it in just to be safe each day. A couple of times on the weekend, I ran into problems though.

I did have the GS3 die on me once while I had it.

The issue for me now, is the lack of additional chargers. I do not know anyone else who has an iPhone 5 yet (in my close circle of family/friends/co-workers). So I have no back up ways to charge it with the new connector until I can get a hold of. Hopefully my local Apple store has some since I will be in the mall tomorrow.

12. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Very poor battery life here I used my phone for live streaming yesterday and it went from 100% to 15% in 2 hours

13. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Mine is way better than my 4s, almost as good as my 4 was, about 7.5-8 hours use, 17-18 SB. And that's without any music or BT streaming inflating my numbers. Sure, I wish it would do 10, but so far, it's pretty good.

I think though, there are phones out there that aren't working properly with regard to battery life.

14. Avalonjay macrumors newbie

Here is my results as of last night

Does any think this is any good?

15. Avalonjay macrumors newbie

Sorry picture didn't load up.

Attached Files:

16. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I fixed mine by just restoring off icloud and resetting all settings

17. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

What do you mean restoring off iCloud?

18. Spicedham macrumors regular

The iPhone 5 battery life is better than my Samsung s3 and that has a 2100mah battery

19. slineaudi macrumors member

20. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Considering the bigger screen, LTE, faster specs. I say they still did good with the battery life even though it's still the same as the 4S.

They still improved the battery but because of the new factors that the iPhone 5 has it kept it's battery life close to the 4S which is still good.

iPhone 6 will have improved battery life. I don't know if the 5S will.

21. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Not good enough, I'm still complaining. What's good enough?
    24 hours that can support poor cellular signal while on LTE, and bluetooth headphones with equalizers at maximum brightness with bluetooth. Good enough for me. But until it isn't possible, I'm not satisfied.

22. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

Battery life is fine and thin rules. The less bulk, the better. There are/will be aftermarket solutions for a strap on battery.

Mine lasts all day, charge at night. Charge in the car. not a big deal

23. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I agree. As long as it last through the day I'm happy. I sleep at night so really don't need the phone.

24. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

I can easily make it through the day with the iPhone 5. With the 4s I was needing a charge halfway through the day. That's a win in my book.

25. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

If I get through more than 6 hours use, I'm happy.

Otherwise, meh, again. Hope iOS 6.0.1 fixes some of the LTE battery sucking.