Battery life is starting to piss me off.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
this is location services off brightness under half. facebook not on push. only using tunein radio is dropping my phone 20%
screen is shut off the whole time also. im getting on average 5hr 30min and this isnt using the phone much. Set up from new also.
return phone?

Attachments

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
this is location services off brightness under half. facebook not on push. only using tunein radio is dropping my phone 20%
screen is shut off the whole time also. im getting on average 5hr 30min and this isnt using the phone much. Set up from new also.
return phone?
i'd get an exchange because that can't be normal

Comment

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Look at your signal strength... If the phone is always trying to lock onto a signal that can kill battery too esp if your using data (tunein radio?) Just an idea.

Oh and you say it's an ongoing issue. Have you actually talked to the people that may be able to help you out?

Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Look at your signal strength... If you phone is always trying to lock onto a signal that can kill battery too esp if your using data (tunein radio?) Just an idea.

Oh and you say it's an ongoing issue. Have you actually talked to the people that may be able to help you out?
ive been meaning to take it in still testing it. so yes i ask people here that have other iphone 5's to see if im really having a problem.
What is apple going to tell me? more than likely its perfectly normal and to restore from new(which i did) and then bring in back. Or turn off everything possible.
just some reassurance before i exchange this.
Cant really bring it into apple at 230am can i?

----------

yea in the gym the bars are usually 3 bars to 1 bar. depending. but still it dropped 30% is 50 minutes with all other things off and the screen off.

Comment

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
ive been meaning to take it in still testing it. so yes i ask people here that have other iphone 5's to see if im really having a problem.
What is apple going to tell me? more than likely its perfectly normal and to restore from new(which i did) and then bring in back. Or turn off everything possible.
just some reassurance before i exchange this.
Cant really bring it into apple at 230am can i?

----------

yea in the gym the bars are usually 3 bars to 1 bar. depending. but still it dropped 30% is 50 minutes with all other things off and the screen off.
then obviously its an issue with the phone, take it to apple what reassurance do you need for that?

Comment

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I was having similar battery issues and did the reset as describe in another thread. I also have poor service at work. The reset got me from having to plug in at the end of the work day to starting day 2 at 83%. Getting 2 full days of average usage, I'm thrilled.

Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I was having similar battery issues and did the reset as describe in another thread. I also have poor service at work. The reset got me from having to plug in at the end of the work day to starting day 2 at 83%. Getting 2 full days of average usage, I'm thrilled.
what reset?

Comment

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
My first iPhone 5 had excellent battery life. My second only lasted about 2-3 hours with only 20 mins or so of that being heavy use (gaming). Rest of it was browsing with a little music, over 3G with excellent signal.

I have no idea if its defective batteries, or a software glitch when restoring from iCloud, but it doesnt really affect me anymore, as I went back to the 4S anyway.

Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
then obviously its an issue with the phone, take it to apple what reassurance do you need for that?
reassurance that people are getting better battery life. If this was normal i would keep it. Is that enough reassurance?

Comment

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
You're streaming radio with a really bad signal.

That type of stuff KILLS the battery.

Over 5 hours of that sort of thing seems normal to me.

Resetting Network settings may help, but I don't think it seems too bad.

Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
You're streaming radio with a really bad signal.

That type of stuff KILLS the battery.

Over 5 hours of that sort of thing seems normal to me.

Resetting Network settings may help, but I don't think it seems too bad.
this never happened or that i noticed with my iphone 4

Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Got ya. Not trying to be an ass but if there is an issue or you think there is one, you shouldnt need strangers on a forum to convince you to get it checked out.
i understand that but why waste my time taking it to apple(they usually say everything is fine and reset your phone and send you on your way) which is a waste of a trip and time out of my day to do. People on here have the phone and can be honest with me about it.

Comment

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
i understand that but why waste my time taking it to apple(they usually say everything is fine and reset your phone and send you on your way) which is a waste of a trip and time out of my day to do. People on here have the phone and can be honest with me about it.
LoL honest.... funny. I'm actually a teenage girl pretending to be a man! Ok not but go into the Apple store and be firm but demanding. I had a jailbroken 3gs swapped out after 20 minutes of the "genius" telling me he couldn't help me because it was jailbroken.

Comment

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
Anyone know the reset? Or the the link the othe rthread with the reset?

Comment

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Anyone know the reset? Or the the link the othe rthread with the reset?
Settings>General>Reset>Reset all settings.
Takes about 5 minutes to re-fig everything. Will usually boost your battery life by 2x if it's ****** as OP. I think, however, as detailed by someone else, the problem is OP constantly latching onto a ****** signal and switching from LTE/3G/Edge

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Got ya. Not trying to be an ass but if there is an issue or you think there is one, you shouldnt need strangers on a forum to convince you to get it checked out.
If this was the case then half the threads on here wouldn't exist!

Comment

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Takes about 5 minutes to re-fig everything. Will usually boost your battery life by 2x if it's ****** as OP. I think, however, as detailed by someone else, the problem is OP constantly latching onto a ****** signal and switching from LTE/3G/Edge
Is something getting edited?

Edit: I thought you were typing wi-fi and it got edited, but I figured it out now.

Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
this is also only a 4g zone. lte isnt in there area at all.

Comment

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Get on the phone with Apple Care. They can send you a text message with a diagnostic report built in to determine if you have a faulty battery or processes taking unusually large amounts of "juice" or more than their fair share of memory.

Sorry you're having issues. For the record though, my bets are on signal strength/antenna using it and hopefully it'll be rectified with a software update in the next few weeks.

Comment

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
LoL honest.... funny. I'm actually a teenage girl pretending to be a man! Ok not but go into the Apple store and be firm but demanding. I had a jailbroken 3gs swapped out after 20 minutes of the "genius" telling me he couldn't help me because it was jailbroken.
And people get upset at Apple for being less flexible about out of warranty replacements. Your post should be a sign behind the Genius Bar with your personal contact information on it, simply titled: "This guy is the reason you will pay $99-$229 for your iPhone Replacement today".

Comment

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
return phone?
Stopped reading after tunein radio.

You have to know that streaming services weigh heavily on your battery, right? Especially in a poor signal area.

There's nothing wrong with your battery.

Comment