Battery life: is this considered to be bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowydog, Sep 23, 2012.

1. snowydog macrumors 6502

Hi all

I've never had an iPhone so I'm u sure, however I have an ipad2.

Basically I've already had to charge my phone 3 times since Friday. I haven't even got a working sim in it so I haven't texted or done any calls (bought a cheap pay as you go to do me u tI'l I get my work sim next week). Just been using the home wifi

Yesterday I used it for around 6 hours, few games, browsing, playing with Siri. 1 or 2 YouTube videos. Also using what's app in the meantime.

Woke up today at 10am ... Been using it lightly (few what's app msgs and flipboard ... No browsing safari) .....

It's went from 100% to 83% in 107mins .... Considering I haven't used it heavily, I don't think that's normal.

Been using my ipad2 all morning for browsing the net ... And it's at 88% after full recharge. .... I find the battery on it lasts me a few days ... Although I know it's bigger anyways...

As I said, this is my first iPhone, and I absolutely love everything about it, except I'm a bit worried about this battery issue. I want to enjoy the whole experience and not have to turn off wifi when not using, turn off certain notifications etc....

It was set up as a new iPhone obviously.....

Should I book an appointment at the apple store and get the battery tested?

I haven't let it completely drain but I read that it's not as important these days, however I plan on completely draining it today and recharging and seeing if there's a difference.... But in the meantime, what are your thoughts?

2. theking79 macrumors 6502

I'm losing 1% battery a minute, so no yours isn't bad

3. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I was trying to prime my battery yesterday, and with 1% left, it lasted like 25 minutes playing music with the screen at max brightness.

I assume that's how they should be.

4. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

How do you have the phone setup? Screen Brightness, Voice/Data Roaming, Apps you are using, Push Notification frequency of email, how is your network connection (Good signal?)? All of these things contribute. My iPhone 5 appears to be nearly identical in battery life to my 4 with all the same settings, with the benefit of the bigger screen and LTE. I'm happy with that.

5. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

My screen is about 60% brightness though I prefer it higher but I wanted to save battery (changed it after first charge) ...

Bluetooth is off (don't use it)

Data roaming off

I have notifications on for mail, what's app, twitter, calendar, reminders, game centre ...

However I'm having trouble with my mail ... Doesn't seem to be pushing even thou I have it set to push (i need this for work) ... Works great on iPad, pushes straight away and gt my notification, but can't get it working on iPhone

I haven't got a great wifi connection where I'm sitting ... Just under 5000 Kbps ...

Don't have 3G on or anything cos it's a PAYG sim that I'm not using for calls or texts or anything, just using it to get on the iPhone and connect to home wifi ...

After 2 and half hours of really light usage with the above information, it's on 67% ... Doesn't seem right t me? I was under the impression the battery would last a lot longer than that for that amount of time? :eek:

I haven't got anything to co are against cos this is my first iPhone and my HTC had to be charged after around 5 hrs cos the battery got quite bad on it.

As I said, new to the whole iPhone thing so I'm to sure on what's normal but I would be slightly disappointed if that was normal ... I'd expect it to be up in the mid/late 80's at the minute,

Dread to thin what it will be like when I get my work sim and I get my mail pushing working and I'm working a full day from 9 and not just doing light browsing on the weekend after a lie I. :eek:

----------

Serious? That's brilliant ... That's more to what I expect ... Considering I'm on 60% brightness and not doing much on it at the mo :eek:

EDIT: down to 66% .... :/

6. RxMac macrumors 6502

You need to calibrate battery. Let it die. Let it charge for 4-6 hours without any use.

7. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll give that a go when it dies today .....

8. Radiating macrumors 65816

Your phone is deffective. Mine was having the same issues and they replaced it. Wait it out a few days though, sometimes the phone "learns" how to manage the battery life better, if it persists then bring it in.

9. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I have a chip in the side from out of the box, so I think I'll take it into the store tomorrow at lunch .... It's near dead already, I'll let it run, charge it this evening and see how it goes by tomorrow lunch

10. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Priming should only be done on certain batteries, nickel based (NiMH, NiCd). The key to maximizing Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries is to keep them cool, keep them between 20% and 80% charge. Completely discharging Lithium based batteries actually hurts them.

The whole cycle thing comes from Nickel based batteries. They had what's know a memory effect. You don't charge it to 100% and battery may "think" that whatever charge it has is the maximum charge. VERY OLD cell phones used that battery, and this is where the whole deep cycle habit came from.

Not saying that few deep cycles will hurt Lithium battery, but do it too much and you will definitely shorten it's lifespan.

11. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

This isn't normal, I would exchange your phone! You should be getting better battery life than that

12. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

Next available appointment at Genius Bar isn't till Wednesday. I'll try walking in tomorrow and see if I can get sorted.

I have a photo to post of my stats but I don't know how to do that using safari on the iPhone?

13. Markyboy81 macrumors 6502a

I think you really have to take the percentage readings with a pinch of salt, it's incredibly difficult for any device to accurately display how much charge is left, and the iPhone is no exception.
    The posts about usage are also not that useful unless everybody uses their phone in exactly the same way.
    And there's also the issue of the battery not being calibrated, which would explain why some people manage to make the last percentage last 25 minutes.
    I would give it at least a week of normal use before drawing any conclusions.

14. takeshi74, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Despite how often "heavy" and "light" are used in every battery life thread, these words really don't mean much. Everyone who uses these words is basing them on that person's notion of the words and they have no idea what the averages across all users are.

The iPad's battery life isn't comparable. Apples and oranges.

Battery life depends heavily on uage, coverage (not relevant in this case), etc. If you've charged 1/day that's fairly typical. Instead of trying to compare your battery life to the average (impossible) you need to consider your battery life for your specific usage and that's something you need to analyze over time -- and not just for a few days.

One way to establish a baseline is to wipe and restore to stock. Run it for a while and compare to that. Keep in mind that changing it form stock will affect battery life as, again, usage impacts battery life.

Posted in countless battery threads and easily found with Google:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/

15. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

Will they exchange it after a week without AppleCare? I'm assuming yeh because it's still within 14days? Is that right?

It's only 5.30pm and I need to charge it again with relatively light usage today since 10.30am (when it was 100%) ...

If I test it against a wipe and restore to stock, will I let it run down and then wipe and charge or charge up and then wipe?

Btw thanks. Everyone for the advice ... Really appreciate it. :eek:

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I'm finding that my battery plummets when using LTE instead of WiFi. I have WiFi at my house but have purposely not been using it to really test out LTE, but the battery dies so fast.

17. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

We don't have LTE yet in the UK (Though it will be here in a few weeks or so) .. but i've heard other people say the same as you ....

I've yet to see how mine holds up on 3G and calls/texts never mind 4G ... dread to think .... if it isn't any better by next week, I'll def be booking my Genius appointment

18. al0513 macrumors 6502

Been on my phone 10:30-11 AM (5-6 hours), medium usage, videos, espn fantasy football, on brightest setting, Bluetooth on, LTE only, and it just ticked to 90%.

19. theking79 macrumors 6502

I very much doubt this