Battery Life Late 2013 rMBP question

smokeyismyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Is this supposed to be normal? I got my rMBP 4 days ago and at 100 % charge the time remaining is 3 hours?!

I have AppleCare so I might take it in. Has anyone else experienced this?
Specs: 15" Late 2013 rMBP 16gb/1tb/2.6

See attachment

EDIT: Added extension click to flash and seems to be a lot better!

Attachments

Last edited:

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
The flash player is the reason as you can see in the process table. Flash automatically activates the dedicated GPU and uses a lot of power.
My MacBook Pro Late 2013 also has this behaviour. As soon as the CPU is used the battery time goes south.

smokeyismyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
The flash player is the reason as you can see in the process table. Flash automatically activates the dedicated GPU and uses a lot of power.
My MacBook Pro Late 2013 also has this behaviour. As soon as the CPU is used the battery time goes south.
Nik thanks for pointing that out. Now, I tried to remove the flash player but still some things require flash (even if I try the HTML 5 version of youtube, some still need it) do you have any other recommendations?

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
Mine says Time Remaining: 4:56 after pulling the power cord on the same machine with Flash running in Chrome.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
Nik thanks for pointing that out. Now, I tried to remove the flash player but still some things require flash (even if I try the HTML 5 version of youtube, some still need it) do you have any other recommendations?
I use the ClickToFlash Plugin with Safari. YouTube is HTML5 (h.264) with this PlugIn. Other flash content has to be specifically activated by clicking on it. If sites do use Flash I tend to leave this website quickly because this is just 90's stuff. :D

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I use the ClickToFlash Plugin with Safari. YouTube is HTML5 (h.264) with this PlugIn. Other flash content has to be specifically activated by clicking on it. If sites do use Flash I tend to leave this website quickly because this is just 90's stuff. :D
I use ClickToFlash as well. I recommend it.

As for your battery life, don't use the meter Apple gives you, use the device and record what you do and how long it goes. Also, brightness should be about half way or about 5 down from the top.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
You can also use gfxCardStatus to force your iGPU to run to save battery life even when using Flash (although flash uses lots of CPU power).

smokeyismyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I use ClickToFlash as well. I recommend it.

As for your battery life, don't use the meter Apple gives you, use the device and record what you do and how long it goes. Also, brightness should be about half way or about 5 down from the top.
Thanks the clicktoflash seems to have solved my issues!

----------

You can also use gfxCardStatus to force your iGPU to run to save battery life even when using Flash (although flash uses lots of CPU power).
Thanks I will look into this!

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
my battery life is amazing, i take it to school and don't even worry about bringing a charger because it never even gets past 70%

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
That battery life estimate is about correct when I watch the comedy network (uses flash) or Netflix (uses ms silver light). When watching online video, the fan will sometimes even kick in and turn on. Very annoying when doing what seems to be light tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.