battery life of 1.5 hours on 2011 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slith003, Apr 14, 2011.

1. slith003 macrumors member

I have been playing plants vs zombies on my new 2011 mbp. I have the screen on full brightness and have been playing in full screen. I got a total of 1.5 hours of play time before the battery needed to be charged. Is playing a game putting that much load on the computer that I would get no where near the 7 hours that is advertised? Does the fact that the fans have been on at 6000 rpm and the computer being at 80C have anything to do with that? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think you answered your own question. The 7 hour rating isn’t for that kind of use.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

of course, the more you tax your computer the faster the battery drains, quite simple. Brightness drains a lot of battery too.

4. slith003 thread starter macrumors member

it is a 13" mbp. what is the max charge? in system preferences mine is rated at 5669.

5. simsaladimbamba

That's correct.

6. mtip macrumors member

Appears to be a flash game. Flash eats battery like you wouldn't believe. So yeah, 1.5 hours of full screen flash-based gaming is perfectly normal.

7. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

In order to get the advertised battery time you would need the screen barely over half brightness which is plenty bright once you get used to it. Full is actually bad for your eyes. No games running, blue tooth off and doing light work such as word, or excel and some internet surfing with no videos. You are basically running the entire machine at full blast.

Think of it like a car. EPA may figure it to get 30 MPG but if you floor it off every stop and run 120 down the highway you will get no where near that figure.