Battery life of Haswell i5 vs i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ahmahzahn, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Ahmahzahn macrumors member

Does anyone know anything concrete about battery life in regards to i5 vs i7? Upgrade is only $140 for Military so I would definitely get it if there wasn't any negative impact on battery. Thanks in advance.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Both processors are listed on the Intel web site as having the same power draw.

3. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I was reading that too but this legend on the MBA tech specs pages it is troubling me with my purchase

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2013 using preproduction 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Air units and preproduction 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-based 11-inch MacBook Air units. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The HD movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 720p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Of course the next question is how does the battery test of a preproduction unit compare to a production unit.

I think you're all reading too much in to the fact the the test was done only with an i5.

5. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I know but they are not saying that the tests were done in the higher speed processors, if that was the case the lower speed ones will get even more battery life, that is what makes me think that the i7 will be a somehow more power and battery hungry, I just want to be sure that I made the right purchase and avoid the time spent on exchanges, and time spent on setting up machines etc, I'll be using this for work and I need it to be right.

6. MathiasVH macrumors regular

Quite the opposite in fact.

With a battery that lasts 12 hours, you're more than likely to encounter some kind of task that is demanding a little "extra" from the CPU during that time. The i7 will finish these operations faster than the i5. Shorter time loading = longer time idle = saves battery :)

You should not be worried about battery life. Just buy ;)

7. ladeer macrumors 6502

Jut buy i5 u won't see perf diff unless u r doing CPU intensive task (unlikely)

8. calvol macrumors 6502a

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The Haswell MBA does not use more power than the Ivy Bridge MBA. That means, it does not run hotter. The voltage regulators in the Ivy Bridge MBA are also not lossless.