Battery life on Late 2010 13" Ultimate (I'm getting about 5 hours avg)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by salmemail, Aug 13, 2011.

1. salmemail macrumors newbie

Just wondering what people are seeing on their Late 2010 13" Airs?

I'm averaging around 5 hours with basic surfing, Outlook, and iTunes.

I think that is a bit low, some report 7+ hours for their airs.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions?

P.S. Bluetooth is off, recalibrated the battery and have dimmed the display.

2. donster28 macrumors 65816

That's about what I'm getting (mine reached 5 hrs and 45 mins on last check) and I was doing a bit of everything. Bear in mind that 7 hours is only attainable if your brightness is below half and you're simply surfing the net. Flash can also consume your battery life so there goes your 7 hrs.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

I'm getting 10+ in light use with Display at 4-bars and using Coolbook.

4. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

For serious I have a hard time believing that.

If you're talking about the battery meter showing 10+ hours, I can easily get 12 if I switch the wifi off and typing a document and listening to iTunes.

Once the wifi is on, I still see about 9~10+ hours but a real battery usage timing reveal that the machine will only go about 8+ hours max with few tabs/no flash/browsing forums.

Tell me that you're getting that battery life with real usage and properly timed.

5. calvol macrumors 6502a

I haven't hand-timed it, just going by the meter. Is it not accurate?

I get 15+ with WiFi off.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    The battery indicator is an ever-changing estimate, based on your current workload. It is not completely accurate.
    No, you don't. Try running from a full charge until your Mac shuts down. Don't trust the battery indicator.

7. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Easy if I switch wifi off 4 bars brightness AND doing nothing.

The battery meter fluctuate every now and then, it's more accurate to time it and record the battery life in %. Better if the battery if properly calibrated.

8. salmemail thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm having a hard time understanding how to use CoolBook, anyone know a good site, or link that could show me? I'm a 'tech' novice!

Thanks,

9. B.Chang macrumors member

Hello,

You should be aware that these time of 9+ hours are from the 2010 MBA. The new models have been found to have significantly less battery life.

Coolbook does not work for i5/i7 processors, so unfortunately cannot be used with the new 2011 models. :[

10. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Easy. Launch coolbook, on battery tab, delete all voltage setting, and add all the clock speed steps (800MHz, 1.6GHz, 1.83GHz, 2.13GHz, depends which processor you have) with lowest voltage option (0.9250v). On the Adaptor tab you may do the same, but on my setting lowest voltage on 2.13GHz seems to be stable so I leave only 2.13GHz setting on lowest voltage while on adaptor. That way I get accurate CPU readings for what I do (audio productions).

Should you encounter any unstable system like kernel panics, raise the voltage value a little higher on the highest clock speed. You can have a quick test by using the stress CPU setting on the coolbook app (10 is full stress, 0 no stress and you should leave it at 0 when you're not testing the CPU).

OP has late 2010 MBA too with C2D processor.