Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
My battery life on my iPhone 7 and iOS 10 was decent. With iPhone 8 and iOS 11 it’s terrible. 20 percent by 2pm from 100 percent at 8am. The Genius said the battery tested fine and it was something in the settings. Reset all settings. Battery today is same old crap. Very disappointed.

I’m buying a mophie battery case because I don’t like this situation with this drain. Are others seeing a big drain with iPhone 8 vs their iPhone 7?

RhysoTDI

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
Check your location settings and switch off apps which don’t need the location

When I updated to 11.0.1 my battery went crap. I switched off a couple of apps which (to me) had been enabled during the update, did a hard reset of the phine and battery drain went back to normal

I’m easily getting nearly two days between charges :)

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Not everyone is aware that using Control Center to turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi does not actually turn off the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi antennas, it just disconnects from the last device they were connected to.

If you are someone who turned these antennas off to save battery life on iOS 10 they are no longer turning off the way you think they are in iOS 11. You need to drill down into Settings to turn these off, you can't use Comtrol Center.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
My battery life on my iPhone 7 and iOS 10 was decent. With iPhone 8 and iOS 11 it’s terrible. 20 percent by 2pm from 100 percent at 8am. The Genius said the battery tested fine and it was something in the settings. Reset all settings. Battery today is same old crap. Very disappointed.

I’m buying a mophie battery case because I don’t like this situation with this drain. Are others seeing a big drain with iPhone 8 vs their iPhone 7?

How many days have you had your phone for? When did you perform the last software update? If the answer to either one of these is under 3 days, you likely have iCloud items backing up/restoring, or the update is re-indexing your phone. Usually best remedy for this is to leave the device on WiFi at night when charging and see how it performs after a few days. I went from a 7 Plus to an 8 Plus and my battery is better on the 8 Plus, but at the very least, not inferior.

Because it has a smaller battery so it will underperform.

This means nothing in isolation. The hardware of the 8 is more efficient, therefore it doesn't need as large a battery.

Not everyone is aware that using Control Center to turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi does not actually turn off the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi antennas, it just disconnects from the last device they were connected to.

If you are someone who turned these antennas off to save battery life on iOS 10 they are no longer turning off the way you think they are in iOS 11. You need to drill down into Settings to turn these off, you can't use Comtrol Center.

Turning off BT 5.0 and latest WiFi chips doesn't save negligible batteries. Perhaps 1-2% over a cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.