Battery life on refurbished 2.4GHz 15" MBP? Is built in battery significantly better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ditzygrrrl, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ditzygrrrl macrumors newbie

Hello. I recently ordered this refurbished MBP off of the Apple website:

15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard

I thought I got a good deal ($1299) but now that I think about it, I'm kind of upset that it does not have the built in battery. I wanted to ask about how many hours this MBP will last and if it was significantly less than the new MBPs with the built in battery. I don't use any graphic-intensive programs but I'd still like a long-lasting battery:). I'm thinking about returning this one once I receive it and purchase the refurbished 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 13" with 4GB memory and the built in battery instead.

Thank you for your help.

2. prodigee macrumors 6502a

The built in batteries last about 5 hours, at least in my experience with them. I have heard that your MBP lasts about 3 hours on average, but I can not personally verify those results as I have never used the first generation 15".

Hopefully that was helpful.

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

You will be getting about 2-3 hours more generally (all depends on what you are doing of course).

I would personally feel better knowing that I have the 9600 on the back burner for when I need it and wouldn't mind sacrificing a few hours of battery for it, but if you can't see yourself using the extra horsepower by all means, do what you need to do :D

P.S.

Don't get the high end 13'. the bump in processing speed is a joke. Also, buy aftermarket ram and upgrade yourself to save some more money.

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I can get up to 8.5 hours surfing/word processing in low screen brightness, but usually get around 4-6 hours. When I'm doing taxing tasks, I get anywhere from 2-4 hours. This is on my June 09 MBP. I can't say for your model, though, as this is the first Mac I've owned :).

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I have that same MBP, just with more HDD and RAM added and I was able to get 4+ hours out of it, until I installed Snow Leopard last weekend :confused: