battery life seems wacked, and glass is kinda uneven, should I exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ride9650, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

So I ran into kind of an interesting problem today.Keeping in mind that the only thing on is 3G, before going to bed, I picked up my phone to run a quick check of my email. I also checked the usage as over the past few days, I have been trying to get a good idea as to whether or not I have a defective battery. It read, "1 hr 47 min". When I woke up this morning to check my mail again at around 9, it read " 3hr and 28" min.
    Unless I was sleepwalking, which I doubt, there is no way I could have been using the phone.

So I wiped my phone(in case I could get an exchange), and I took it over to the genius bar this morning, and he told me that Yahoo(which I have set up on the phone cause I have an account) supposedly has a special setting under "Mails,Contacts,Calender" that still forces the Yahoo account to check for new messages, even when the main push settings are turned off.
    This sounded like a plausible explanation, so I decided to let it go and come home.

However, once I returned home, and restored the phone, I could not find such a setting! Am I missing something here? or do I have a defective battery?
    If it helps at all, my Yahoo account is just the standard free account.

Also, the glass on mine is not even...and possibly bowed downwards in the middle. The reason I say this is cause, (looking directly at the face of the phone, home button on the bottom)
    the upper left is pretty much flush with the bezel,
    the lower right and left corners are about the same height, but not flush with the bezel and raised just slightly above it,
    and the upper right corner is noticeably raised up more then everywhere else. At first I thought I was just seeing things, but after placing a sturdy plastic ruler on the face there's a definite opening in the middle between the ruler and the glass. I did bring this up with the genius I went to go see this morning and he told me he checked 4 other phones and that they all had similar defects.

Im not sure if I should try for an exchange or not given that I have no other issues with the phone besides those two. This is already my 4th phone(had light leaking out the first 3)...opinions please? Has anyone received or exchanged for perfect phones in the past few days?

Thanks!

2. jvanlee1 macrumors member

Yahoo push

Check Settings->Fetch New Data->Advanced.

3. droeun macrumors member

From a bird's eye view the top right of my glass is slightly raised, but not as bad as others I have seen in the apple store. It is only a hairline or two higher, I'm not going to worry about it.

4. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

My glass is slightly raised on the top left as well. It was bothering me, but it seems to be a common feature of the manufacturing process.

5. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I found it! Thats where it is! Thanks javanlee. But I have another question, if the "fetch" interval is set to manual, but the accounts are not, is mail still supposed to download my email?

6. ehaugk macrumors member

exchange it - not because of your battery life issues that's probably software related (have you tried a fresh restore?) but because of the uneven glass. I just got home from my local apple store from exchanging my day 1 3g for a new one. The glass was pushed in on the bottom right hand side enough that I could actually feel roughness when I slide my finger over it. No questions asked exchange and told me if i had any other issues with this model to come back and try another. Genius Bar was very helpful for me; I was in and out with a brand new 3G in 5 minutes.

7. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes I have indeed already tried restoring it, not for this particular issue, though. When I first started to use the phone, the usage time some how almost closely resembled the standby time! It seemed to fix it, but I brought it up cause it seems to be acting up again, though of course that might just have something to do with my mail.

8. ehaugk macrumors member

well regardless i'd exchange it for a new one because of the uneven glass issue. That really was bothering me with mine and you should be 100% happy with your hardware. Apple is good like that, they want you to be happy too in most instances. Return it and let us know how the battery life is on your new 3g!

9. muldul macrumors 6502

If you are unhappy with it any way and especially if the problem is with hardware, then ask for a replacement from apple

10. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

AHHHHH more light leak on the replacement!!

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm seriously considering switching to a different phone for a little while, at least untill these issues are sorted out.

Darn, back it goes....

11. atluten macrumors 6502

When you get the replacement, remember to check it before leaving so you won't have to go back to the store if the issue crops up again. Best of luck!

12. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I tend to be a little self-conscious though and end up not checking for some things. OCD is such a curse..

Anyways, back again and this one seems to be pretty much perfect! Slightly uneven in the same upper right corner, but far less than the last phone and there are no other major problems that I've come across, so I think I'm done tempting fate.

Thanks all!

13. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Obviously you've asked the question so you think something is wrong with it. If you think something is wrong with it then take it back, why would you care what a bunch of strangers have to say regarding your phone that none of them have even seen?

14. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ask because I'm not sure if its just my OCD kicking in or not. Also, its a way to kinda guage whether or not its worth taking it back in, though you do have a good point.

15. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

You like to use the OCD term, if you truly had OCD, youd have exchanged it no matter what anyone says, or it would drive you crazy.