Battery Life Significantly Diminished after Lion Upgrade - 2010 MBA 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dudeofswim, Aug 1, 2011.

1. dudeofswim macrumors member

I've noticed a significant battery life reduction with my recent upgrade to lion.

The battery life has been going from 100% to 20% quicker than ever (3hrs at the most)
    Right now I'm at 20% and expected time left is 30 minutes. I am running a bunch of apps, yes, but this was never this bad under 10.6.

there are no huge CPU or ram hogs. Spotify might have something to do with it, but the Battery life of my 2010 MBA 13" has been affected (I can see/experience it)

Go to an apple store for it? What else can I do? A Calibration (will only make it report more accurately)

Thanks

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

Make sure it's not just indexing before making any big moves. There's lot's of info over on the Lion forum about it.

3. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Lion seems to have some trouble with indexing/mds's files thtat keep my MBA 13" 2010 running like a lunatic.
    I've had it several times that I needed to restart the system in order to get it running smoothly again.
    I think/hop the .1 update will iron out a lot of those problems.

4. bill-p macrumors 68000

I can echo this sentiment. Even after Lion has finished indexing and everything else, battery life is still unacceptable. The most I was able to squeeze out was 6 hours with mixed usage.

I'm speculating that it's due to the new fullscreen animations in Lion that use the GPU. Granted, they are smooth, but the GPU has to work more, and if anything, GPU sucks more battery than CPU.

The only remedy I have found for it thus far is to downgrade back to Snow Leopard.

5. dudeofswim thread starter macrumors member

I sure hope so. The animations seem to use quite a bit of GPU as well (turning the fan on) and flash makes the machine hotter and the indexing.

My fan has never been this loud for so long.

I sure hope the .1 fixes some of these issues so that I can keep lion for iOS 5 development. I only have like 60GB of used space. Does indexing take a week?

6. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

If you check out the gfxcardswitcher app in MBPs with discrete grpahic cards, you'll notice that Lion constantly uses the discrete card. This is probably the cause for the low battery life and higher temps bugging lion.
    And then again if you use the integrated in Lion youtube doesn't work.
    Lion uses the GPU even if the system is idling.

7. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Mines also been noticeably poorer since upgrading. Although my personal usage doesn't require 5 hours anymore, so not too fussed.