Battery life using passbook?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
That's interesting. If navigation isn't running, I was under the impression that the phone didn't ping your location until it was awakened from sleep. I know my Walgreens card didn't pop up near the store until about two seconds after I woke the phone up.

TinyBFK

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
I live down the street from my "favorite Starbucks" and passbook kept using GPS at my house so I disabled it for passbook.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Same usage as before, but I never disabled location services from Passbook. Actually with iOS6, my 4S is running about 20% longer than iOS5.

SoonerFan303

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
It only checks for a couple seconds after you wake the phone. No noticeable impact to my battery life today.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
That's interesting. If navigation isn't running, I was under the impression that the phone didn't ping your location until it was awakened from sleep. I know my Walgreens card didn't pop up near the store until about two seconds after I woke the phone up.
What do you mean?

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
not really a big deal in my experience

it does, however, kill the battery when you're within the area. Location Services will practically STAY on.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I saw that coming and killed it before it even had a chance to kill my battery...
Yeah, I learned my lesson when geo-fencing first showed up in iOS5. Location based Reminders are cool but not worth the hit in battery life. And with PassBook capable of storing hundreds of location aware cards then (in my two day test) it's been terrible for battery life.

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
I turned off the location services also. It is a nice idea but honestly it takes about 5 seconds to unlock the phone and open the passbook app. The thing I do like is getting to my card in passbook is faster then opening the starbucks app.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
No issues here and I have 12 different Starbucks and 3 targets favorited in my passbook. Battery life is the same here. Me thinks you are looking for ghosts where there are no ghosts.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I've noticed a hit in work (the cta starbucks is down the street) therefore I turned mine off. I might turn it on when I am at home over the weekend and see if it keeps pinging it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.