Battery life went from great to lousy in course of a day

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by durangojim, Jun 18, 2015.

1. durangojim macrumors member

At the end of my work day I used to have between 45-65% battery left and was always very impressed with battery life. I've owned the watch since it first was available. Yesterday when I got home I noticed I had 10% life left. I thought it was weird but didn't think much of it. Today after wearing it for 3 hours I was down to 70%. I erased the watch, re-paired it with my phone and 3 hours later I'm now down to 26% and haven't done anything different today or yesterday compared to all of the other days I wear it. I'm debating if I should make a genius bar appt and try to get a new watch.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Have you installed or updated any apps on your watch in that timeframe

3. durangojim thread starter macrumors member

Not that I'm aware of and when I reset I only kept the stock Apple apps on there.

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I know this sounds old school, but try turning it off and on again. I had a problem with the battery and that fixed it for me.

5. Karnicopia, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015

Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I'm having this issue every once in a while and it's really strange. What I notice is my phone battery will start to drain really fast. Like I can actually watch the percentage tick down. If I have a lot of apps open on the phone and double click the home button the screen freezes for about a minute and I can't close out of apps. If I close out of all my apps it tends to respond quicker. The battery on the watch also drains really fast. Like today I've been up for a couple hours and my iPhone 6 is down to 38% and my watch is at 86%.

I have a app to test stats on the phone and the CPU is at a constant 80-90%. If I switch off Bluetooth or power down the watch it drops considerably, down to about 20%. When I tried to open up the watch app it says it wasn't connected. This battery drain issue has happened twice before as well. Normally my battery life is great I get home with 60% battery and the watch tends to save battery on the phone overall but with this they both drain really fast.

I tried power cycling them both but didn't seem to help. Seems like maybe the watch and phone are having issues communicating so they are just constantly pinging each other. Not sure if it's the same thing but figured I'd put it here because it sounds similar. I did not install any apps or make any changes just literally fell asleep yesterday it was working great and this morning it's killing both batteries. For now I just put the phone back on the charger and I'll see if it sorts itself out. While writing this message my watch battery is now at 82% so that's definitely fast.

Update: I power cycled them both at the same time and put them back on their chargers and it seems to be working fine now even when I took them off the chargers.