Battery Loss while plugged in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brn2rnjk1, Jan 2, 2012.

1. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

I am using a mophie air case with my ip4s. I have noticed at times that when I plug it in to charge overnight from my mac air (of course with mophie turned off), the phone seems to drain (I wake up and it is at 97 or 91 percent charged). It had hit 100 before that and the mophie was not used at all during the cycle (so it wasn't charging the mophie first and then the phone).

Anyone else have this issue. If I unplug and then replug in it charges back up to 100.

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have the same setup, but I don't charge the 4S and MophIe via USB on my MBA. I always wait for both 4S and Mophie Air to drain then charge directly to an AC. I've never seen the 4S loose charge with this method (and both devices are turned OFF). Occasionally, during charge, I'll turn ON the 4S to verify the battery percentages. Have you tried and see if this works? It does take a while to charge, I think for me, about 5 1/2 -6 hrs.

3. trenfro macrumors newbie

It may be because you're charging it on your mac. Try plugging it into the wall. When you charge it, is your mac on or sleeping? Make sure its on because that will make a difference.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Don't get hung up on the number itself. Far too many people consider this pseudo number an exact and correct level, when in fact is is more of a close estimate.

Consider things such as the processes you have running (i.e. Bluetooth, wifi, etc.) and then compare that with your normal usage throughout the day. Now look at your battery and how long it lasts.

Give less faith in a number, but more into your length of usage and how you're using it.

A good way to do this is to simply turn off the battery percentage. I bet you'll notice you'll worry less about how much batter is left and enjoy your phone more.

5. Power Ranger macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This happened with my wife's 4s. After giving the battery a complete cycle charge (letting the battery completely drain and recharging) it hasn't happened again, so far.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Your phone charger won;t constantly charge your phone. At some point, once it has reached 100% it will stop for a while. I have never seen it go as low as 91% but I often wake up to 97% or so.

7. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all. I think it might be that I closed the cover on my Air so maybe stopped charging and then ran down during the night(s). Will try various suggestions and repost.

Thanks again.

8. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

I have found that it will stay at 100% all night, then around 7:00 til 7:20am it will suddenly drop to 97%. I can unplug and plug back and it will top back off in a bit while in shower. Turning off wi-fi stops this phenomena. No problems the rest of the day JUST early am. Have seen it at 100% as late as 6:50am then by 7:15, 3% poof gone. Cannot figure what wi-fi is doing to cause it ONLY then.

9. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Same issue here on an iPhone 4S running on a GSM network.
    It is annoying yet I wonder whether it could be by design.
    I am seriously considering to switch the percentage gauge off. If the battery drop is limited to the percentage indicator only, then it could be tolerable. But I wouldn't want to wake up only to find the battery icon incompletely filled after a night of charging.

Apple is disappointing yet again. Given the pervasion of battery issues with this release, I am pledging not to buy an iPhone again unless a genuine and effective fix is issued soon. I have enough worries in my life as it is—no time to worry about a temperamental and buggy $1000 phone.

10. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

When you close your mabook it will go to sleep, and stop powering the USB ports.

You can load a program like InsomniaX which will allow you to shut the lid, and keep it powered on. Downfall, though, is your macbook will be on all night, too.

I've done that numerous times so I can access it remotely. Just turn the screen off before closing it.