Battery lost 60% in standby mode last night

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Polekat, May 27, 2012.

1. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

I fully charged my iPhone 4s. Put in standby mode and set it on the night stand. Awakened 8 hours later to a 40% charge. I am visiting family and the room I am in has a weak WiFi signal and the cell signal is weak here too. Could that be the cause?

The usage stats said 6 hours standby and 2 hours usage. What would have been active for 2 hours?

iPhone 4s
    Not jailbroken

2. techmangonewild macrumors newbie

techmangonewild

My son's had the same thing happen last weekend. I bet it is some setting that keeps it 'awake' all night...

3. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

You may want to restore the iPhone in iTunes, especially if you have recently updated the OS.

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It could be because of searching for signal try it fully charged in a spot with better signal.

5. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

Check your usage. If its the same as standby then you know what the problem is. It happened to me few times and I always had to restore from backup which is inconvenient. Then my good friend advice me that its better to just let the battery die and that will fix it.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I put my iPhone on charge last night and woke up with it at 100%

:rolleyes:

7. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

I bet you did.

8. bandofbrothers, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Just trying to lighten the mood !

9. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Also, it may be a good idea to put your iPhone on airplane mode when you go to sleep.

It's probably not that good for you to have any mobile phone near you (especially your head).
    Also, it can stop your iPhone from waking you up ;)

10. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

It was 2 hrs used and 6 standby. I plan on trying tonight in airplane mode. Will see what happens in the AM

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Absolutely. Feel free to refer to countless prior threads on battery life and poor coverage (applies to just about any mobile device out there -- not just iPhones). Any reason you didn't charge it while you slept?

How would we know what you have/use on your iPhone?

12. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

because it was fully charged. No need to keep it on charger.
    It was in standby. Nothing should have been active.

Anyway. Airplane mode last night and battery was at 100 this am still. Must've been signal searching.

13. hazza head macrumors newbie

Fix the problem easy

If you check the usage and standby and usage are the same you will have a problem with your battery life. Apple gave me two new phones when this problem happened to me. But in all things there is usally a way to overcome the problem. This works for me. Plug phone into power charger till 100%, turn phone off while plugged into power, unplug phone and turn back on you will see there is no time for either usage or standby. Plug phone back in for a minute or so and unplug and wait a couple of minutes and check usage v standby and they will be different as they should be. Good luck.

14. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Maybe someone in the house (a kid, or snooping relative) came into your room while you were asleep and messed around with your phone for a couple hours.

Or, do you have any tracking apps installed on your phone (Find friends)? If someone was looking for you, it would activate your GPS, which could drain your battery a lot.

15. barredfreak macrumors 6502

There are many different aspects that could contribute to the massive loss of battery life overnight. Try restoring your phone and leaving it on overnight. If the battery loss is minimal, it's definitely your apps that are contributing to it.

If not, your battery needs to be replaced.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Looks like this was solved back in May, people...