battery @ night (when you sleep)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by numberforty1, Oct 28, 2012.

1. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

hey people, just a quickie question....

does your iphone lose battery power when you sleep at night and your phone runs NO apps. mail set to fetch manually, screen brightness down , yada yada, notifications off.

the only thing i DO leave on is Do Not Disturb

And I am losing about 1% per hour. I'll go to sleep with the phone at 100% and wake up 8-9hrs later with it at 90%

any ideas....

THANKS

2. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

My phone is off the charger around 11 every night n I get up at 6 am but I always wake up still at a 100% n disturb is on n my mail fetch is on , n I'm sure some apps are running in background cause I rarely turn those off!

3. numberforty1 thread starter macrumors 6502

numberforty1

Hmm, that's why I'm puzzled cause I have it all turned off (except for DND)...

thanks for your feedback!

anyone else?

4. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

5. numberforty1 thread starter macrumors 6502

numberforty1

Thanks for your feedback! Anyway to tell what's running (in the background) other than the double click to the HOME button?

I must have something running. (That I cant see)

Grrr

6. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

This is a guess....Sometimes, depending on your cell service, your phone may be trying to get the best signal which can drain the battery. Do you have LTE on? And if so, do you have that service in your area? If you have it on and don't have good coverage for it, that too can drain your battery. Perhaps even with decent coverage, but I don't know for sure. I leave my phone plugged in when it's on my nightstand, so I can't comment on battery usage while I sleep.

7. numberforty1 thread starter macrumors 6502

numberforty1

I have LTE & great coverage. But when I'm home I run off wifi.

When I am out & about LTE is a battery sucker, for sure.

Thanks for your feedback and ideas as well!

8. giancarlo007 macrumors member

Why just don't leave it plugged in overnight?

9. numberforty1 thread starter macrumors 6502

numberforty1

I just may start doing that.;)

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm actually having the same problem. I lose way more battery overnight than I should. Usually I do have it plugged in, but sometimes I forget or I'm charging my iPad overnight instead. But I swear I've lost over 10% on some occasions. I recently started using Do Not Disturb but I don't remember what the battery was doing before that. I do not have LTE in my town and I do not have it on either. I do have my iCloud set to Push. Find my iPhone set to off. A few notifications are on.

11. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I'd recommend you go to reset and reset all your settings (this doesn't erase data) but you'll have to re-enter passwords and stuff. It tends to clear out whatever is causing your battery drain, and then you can slowly add everything back and see what the cause is, sometimes, it was just a glitchy setting. I did this yesterday for my iPhone 5 and things have been smooth ever since. Before that, I was getting matching usage and standby times.

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I actually just restored a week ago and then I reset all setting earlier this week to try and smooth it out. I get much better stand by times. I'm going over a day on standby now, but I'm still only getting about 7 hours of moderate usage. I'm not necessarily complaining because that's better than probably a lot of people. It's just weird because it seems to only be over night that I drain so fast in standby. During the way it's normal. I don't have the best signal in my house though. I get typical 3-4 bars max in my house of 3G (or 4G as my phone would lead me to believe).

Forgot to mention that 4 days out of the week I travel to the nearby major city for school that does have much better signal so that could be why the drain isn't there during the day.

13. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I don't have any data plan on my 3GS (no 3G), no wifi at home too, so my wifi and data network are turned off. Leaving it on standby at night with Do Not Disturb mode on, either the battery remains at the same lvl or it drops by one percent. Pretty remarkable for a 3 year old phone!

14. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

That is just so weird though, why would it drain so much at night? It just might be the push.. :/ I have no idea. 7 hours sounds about right though. I pulled 7 hours earlier today with about 25% left on T-Mobile which I'm sure would only net me about an hour or two with the remaining time.

15. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'll check it tonight, because maybe my brain just doesn't remember what I left the battery at before I went to sleep. Haha. I'm getting around 7 with 1% left.

16. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

You should keep track of it in your Notes app! That way you can do it over multiple days and see what's up and trends and what not. :)

17. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'll get right on that. :D

18. puppers macrumors member

puppers

New here. Just came from Android. Anyway keep in mind when on WiFi you still are "pinging" for standard cell signal. Even if you have great LTE, you are not running the LTE when on WiFi, you drop and get regular cell service (1x?). So it could be draining from your phone searching for service.

19. numberforty1 thread starter macrumors 6502

numberforty1

trying this now & i will report back if it helps.

awesome info!;)

----------

Makes sense! I never thought of that. Thanks ; )

20. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I'm losing about 2-3% every 3 hours of standby overnight with Wifi On (mail Manual) and for reasons only known to itself I am apparently "using" the phone for a minute an hour. (Took photos before going to sleep and when I woke of the usage screen).

This was after I had reset all settings (tried it last night after reading threads here), I was getting similar before.

The 4S (airplane mode but wifi on) also lost battery overnight but only 3% in 8 hours. The 5 is basically a restore from the 4S backup,

Only my old 3GS (airplane mode, wifi on) doesn't just drop % overnight doing nothing. It's somewhat frustrating.

21. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Alright so from about 1 am to 8 am (don't mock my sleeping habits :eek: ) I went from 92% to 86% in standby. Wifi on, all the same settings and signal as my earlier post. Phone is my alarm. Not quite as bad as I thought, but still worse than I think it should be, considering there are those dropping only 1% over night.

22. puppers macrumors member

puppers

Just for the heck of it - try putting in airplane mode. I know that may be difficult in case you get an emergency call, but at least you can compare.

Just a thought.

23. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Not too worried about emergency calls. I'll try it tonight. I have my Do not Disturb set to truly do not disturb. No calls allowed to come through.

24. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

I hate that happens.I have a blackberry :( ( I know ) and sometimes I try to see why it happens.I close all the data transfer and all apps ( I dont know can you call those sh..ty stuff as apps) and everything but the full battery in the morning all finished.I have an iphones as well but I never see that coming to me but sometimes even if you forget the music app or even a very basic setting on the battery dries out in the night :(

25. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope but I charge it nightly.

Plug it in. Unless you're using it and need it unplugged while you're asleep.