Battery on 3GS burst?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yomibro, Jun 15, 2013.

  1. yomibro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    #1
    So I went to bed and left my old 3GS charging, woke up to this in the morning. Did the battery burst from the inside? You can't really tell from the pic but I can see the logic board is bent upon closer inspection, there are no burn marks of any sorts so best guess is battery leaked/burst while charging. :(
     

    Attached Files:

  2. phillies262834 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    #2
    Did the display assembly pop off like that? Or did you take it off to look at the inside?
     
  3. yomibro thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    #4
    It popped out by itself, that's the way I found it when I got up in the morning. There is a lump under the logic board, best guess the display got pushed out when the battery bursted while charging.
     
  4. Intell macrumors P6

    Intell

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2010
    Location:
    Inside
    #5
    It might still be repairable. If you carefully unscrew the two bottom screw then remove the display and the logicboard you'll have access to the battery. Do this outside with eye protection. Remove the battery and dispose of it according to your local laws. Don't put it in the household trash. Don't pop it or damage it in anyway. Then just put in a new 3Gs battery and it should all work. But before buying a new 3Gs battery,visually check the logicboard and ribbon cables for damage. If they appear damaged, you may not want to buy a new battery as it may be much too broken. One you you can try is to remove the faulty battery and reassemble the device without a battery. It should show some sign of life when connected to power, but I don't think iOS devices will boot without a battery.
     
  5. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2008
    #6
    I would not advise attempting to repair that battery yourself.

    If the battery has indeed swollen up, then it is likely going to be pressurized and/or extremely volatile. Lithium packs like that tend to ignite on contact with oxygen (air), so if it ruptures you will have a very spectacular fire on your hands with lots of toxic smoke.

    The battery has NOT burst. This is evident by the fact that your phone hasn't been reduced into a smouldering pile of ashes.

    Take it into an Apple centre. Carefully. Do not try to push the display down, you'll probably just burst the battery and then you WILL have a flaming hot 3GS device to deal with. Apple should replace the unit, since this kind of thing is extremely rare and extremely dangerous- they are potentially liable for this kind of failure if the pack ever ruptured and started a fire.

    Again, do NOT attempt to repair this device yourself. If your logic board is really bent that much I think it's a lost cause anyways- the BGA solder points on the PCB would have snapped off, rendering the device inoperable. You should take it into Apple so they can dispose of it and get a new device.

    -SC
     
  6. yomibro thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    #7
    I'll take it to the local Apple store to have them take a look at it, maybe they will be willing to replace the internals for free or give me a replacement instead.
     

Share This Page