Battery questions; just want to make sure I understand it right

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jus407, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jus407 macrumors member

I am planning on buying my first MBP as soon as they update them with the penryn processors; the main reason for me waiting is i heard that the new processors will offer better battery performance (albeit it will only be a small improvement any improvement is welcomed and wanted)

so this leads me to my main question,

Is getting a faster processer and then running it slower than normal speeds best for battery performance? or getting one on par with what you need and using it at higher/normal levels better?

I will want my nest laptop to be a desktop replacement and thats why i want the MBP, however is the macbook good for desktop replacement also? whats the average battery life on one of those? i have tried to find the answer to that but most of the battery questions pertain to the higher end macbook pro

and i will also be using this for just surfing the web, listening to music, and downloading (usually all at the same time). and will also be using it for college papers and research.

thanks in advance!

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Umm...more CPU/GPU power, the more battery time it will consume. The more RAM, the more power. Just a note, I have about 4 hours left at 80% on my MBP. That is excellent to me! I have 5 programs running and the battery is just amazing.

3. jus407 thread starter macrumors member

well i thought that with the new core 2 duo processors that the less the processor worked the less energy used, so i figured i little higher processor would actually increase battery life due to inactivity but i guess not?

and can you disable the graphics card on the macbook pro and just run off of the onboard gpu to help further increase battery life?