Battery replaced at Apple Store within Warranty, charged without being told!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bunts, Sep 9, 2012.

1. bunts macrumors member

Hi all,

I felt my 4s battery had been going downhill fast lately so I booked an appointment and saw a Genius today. I should point out my 4s is a month shy of 1 year old, so I'm just within warranty.

The guy was helpful and ran a diagnostic. Their system said to replace the battery so he did.

The genuis did this all behind closed doors so I didn't see anything happen. He simply listened to me, said he would check the batt and that they could replace it if it needed it and took it back behind those metal doors.

I was pretty pleased. He came back said it needed replacing and that he had done so. I assumed this was all within warranty. He never mentioned nor took my payment details (although Apple do have my card details on record linked to my account). He didn't ask me before replacing or say it would cost anything it was all just done.

However I've receieved a receipt via email showing a charge of £55 under limited warranty. It shows item cost and actual charge at £55, there's no section showing £0 under warranty. Confused as to whether this has been actually charged to me? Tried calling to check but lines are closed and it wouldn't show yet on my bank. I checked Apple's warranty just now and it says batteries are not covered in the warranty.

So I'm asking here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience? If it looked like they were charged by were not, or the other was round. Or if someone can clarify whether you can get replacement batteries under warranty?

If I have been charged it would be without direct permission. I simply went in there and asked if they could check if my battey was okay or not. The rest was pretty much done without my say.

Cheers, Tom

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

You won't get charged, if they didn't take your card there and then. I've had invoices showing I've had to pay before and you don't actually need to pay anything.

3. bunts thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the reply.

I hope you're right. I've had invoices from warranty repairs and replacements too but always shown £0.

I guess as I've read that batts aren't covered i feel they charged me. But wrong if they have, never asked or informed me.

Might feel a waste to ask here but was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.