Battery started draining quick. How to track ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soamz, Aug 20, 2013.

1. soamz macrumors 6502a

Hi, I bought an iPhone 5 last week. The battery was superb. A full charge was easily staying for 15-17 hours.

Now I have installed my apps and synced my backup. And I see the battery is not staying for more than 3-4 hours now.

How do we track, which is eating the battery power much, so I can find it and remove ?

2. cynics macrumors G3

Battery started draining quick. How to track ?

There isn't a good way in iOS yet (might be different in iOS 7). There are certain apps but I've never had good luck with them.

I'd start by keeping the social media apps closed after use (Facebook and Facebook messenger especially).

3. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

Most people claim it's the fact they restored that caused it. I guess a fresh install might help. Not that installing your apps and settings is any fun.

It happens every year (every iphone release) and a fresh install usually fixes it.

Thanks

Anthony

4. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

The only way I've ever done this is by hooking up the iPhone to instruments on the Mac to see which processes were hogging the CPU (not sure if you need a dev account, but it's not exactly easy for a non-dev). Turned out to be the mail database process, so I delete and recreated by Exchange account. So a clear restore is your best bet unless you want dive into the depths of iOS process listings...

5. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Could you explain how you used instruments to detect the CPU hogging processes? I haven't really been able to figure it out. :confused:

6. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I had the same problem when I got my IPhone 5, I did some research on the web and found out that if you set up your phone as "new" the battery will last longer..it worked for me..

7. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I agree sometimes your back up could be the problem. Set up as new and see how it lasts after.