ComputerWizard

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Chicago, IL
About the Battery Update

The Battery Update enhances the performance of the battery to ensure that full capacity is available for your PowerBook or iBook.

System Requirements

Installation of the Battery Update requires Mac OS X 10.2 or later.

The Battery Update supports the following products:

iBook (Dual USB)
iBook (Late 2001)
iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM)
iBook (32 VRAM)
iBook G4 (12-inch)
PowerBook G4 (12-inch)
PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI)
PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800)
PowerBook G4 (17-inch)
PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.33GHz)
Note: Once the Battery Update software has been installed, each battery you install in your PowerBook or iBook will be updated automatically.

© Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iBook, and PowerBook are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Back ....

I guess I won't get it until my next flight ... but hope it will help me a bit more...;) , it's reaching 3:00, full speed, and itunes on!

Comment

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
listen to you guys....:eek: :rolleyes: 3 hours and still ticking....2+ hours, FOUR hours!!!! I have the 15" powerbook firewire 800 and am lucky to get an hour 45! :( I REALLY hope that this improves the life of my battery....will let you know later....

edit: well, it's later now and am SUPER thrilled to report that it looks like the battery has more than DOUBLED its life. I always look at the percentage (and compare to the 'time' the menubar gives me) and it's now draining NEARLY as quickly. Hallelujah! woo-hoo! - That translates into 3.5 hours! Go Apple!

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Last Friday my PowerBook lasted for about 3 hours and 45 minutes on the plane with processor at automatic, screen at 2/3 brightness, Word, iCal, and Webster's dictionary open and backlit keyboard at full. If this makes it last for longer, I am afraid I'll never use that extra battery I ordered with my PowerBook. :)

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by coumerelli
listen to you guys....:eek: :rolleyes: 3 hours and still ticking....2+ hours, FOUR hours!!!! I have the 15" powerbook firewire 800 and am lucky to get an hour 45! :( I REALLY hope that this improves the life of my battery....will let you know later....

an hour 45? yikes. :eek: what are your options like? AE? BT? screen brightness? processor speed? apps running?

I get ~3.5 hours with my rev. B 12" PB. Depends on usage and screen brightness though... could be under 3 or up to 4.

I hope this update is like firmware update 1.3 was for the original ipods. Oh man did that change battery life... :D

Comment

edgar_is_good

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Seattle, WA
Battery is gone!

I ran this update with a nearly full battery and now I have (it claims) 0% batter left. And yet the computer is working just fine. What the hey?!!?

Xbattery shows me with a full 4.4Ah

Comment

pb1212580

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2003
same here.
Just installed it. I get average use of 2:30hours on my new pb12" that's with automatic and full screen running lots of apps, safari, itunes, mail..etc.

I hope this makes it even longer! It's at 90% charging but still says 2 more hours to charge! :) how do they do that!?!?!?

Can't have come at a better time for me. Going on 2 plane rides all day in 2 days!

Will post after!

Quote:
I get ~3.5 hours with my rev. B 12" PB. Depends on usage and screen brightness though... could be under 3 or up to 4.

I hope this update is like firmware update 1.3 was for the original ipods. Oh man did that change battery life... :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Comment

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
12" with FW 800?

This may just be a spell mistake by Apple, but in the german version of the update there are 3 PowerBooks 12":
PowerBook 12"
PowerBook 12" (DVI)
PowerBook 12" (FW 800)
Just a mistake or is it like with G5's appearing at Apple Store 3 days before launch?

Comment

dracoleb

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2003
Re: 12" with FW 800?

Originally posted by McMike
This may just be a spell mistake by Apple, but in the german version of the update there are 3 PowerBooks 12":
PowerBook 12"
PowerBook 12" (DVI)
PowerBook 12" (FW 800)
Just a mistake or is it like with G5's appearing at Apple Store 3 days before launch?
The US one says PowerBook 15" (FW 800) instead of 12"

Comment

duce

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2003
Connecticut
Waht about older 15" Powerbook

Attempted a software update and no updates are available. Does this update skip the original Titanium PB users?

Comment

///M Power

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
USA
I really hope this helps my iBook Dual USB!

I get an amazing 17 minutes or so of battery life! Reduced speed, brightness as far done as possible, Airport on and using.

My PowerBook G4 500MHz gets about 3 or something 3:30 or so with brightness down all the way, reduced speed, Airport on etc.

Comment

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
I maybe wrong but I think there was also the 15" in the german version noticed separately! I've just updated so I can't access the info any more... Maybe someone else with a german OS can confirm this!

Comment

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
Re: Waht about older 15" Powerbook

Originally posted by duce
Attempted a software update and no updates are available. Does this update skip the original Titanium PB users?

This update is only for Al PB!

Comment

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Re: Battery is gone!

Originally posted by edgar_is_good
I ran this update with a nearly full battery and now I have (it claims) 0% batter left. And yet the computer is working just fine. What the hey?!!?

Xbattery shows me with a full 4.4Ah

That 0% probobly refers to something like 0.1...% that needs to be charged after the update was done and the extra capacity discovered. Give it a minute or two and you should be ok. Otherwise, goodluck :)

Comment

RedMacMan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
Full but Juicing... (?)

I've had my PB 15 1.25GHz plugged in all morning here at work, so the battery was full, but after that update it tells me "0:51 until full".

? (!)

This thing's gonna suck down another HOUR of juice?? Suhhhhhhweet!

As it is I forgot to condition the battery when I first got it (DOH!) so have only been seeing about 2 hour battery life. Hopefully this will improve that.

Comment

Wuddel

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
I wonder which iBook i have. Its a May-2002 12"-model with CD-ROM, 600 MHz G3 and 16 MB VRAM, but NOT opaque.

It still has Apple Garamond font for "iBook" and the "classic Dual-USB-Look".

Comment

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Hey RedMacMan - that's not due to lack of conditioning, that's what the 15 gets.....

Comment

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
WOW!!!

Wow!! I am using a revA powerbook 12' and this little update just took me from an average of 1 hour and 45 minutes to a full three and a half hours! THANK YOU APPLE!

Comment

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
Re: Waht about older 15" Powerbook

Originally posted by duce

It does skip us indeed. Not sure why, I guess our PB's are perfect :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.