Battery usage on iphone 5 on standby

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetlagged, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jetlagged, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

jetlagged macrumors 6502

I own an iphone 4, recently upgraded to iphone 5. (verizon network on both)

As people have posted previously, some have complained about the poor battery life. Well although thats part of my question, the bigger question that I have is that when I go to General>Usage under settings, I notice my iphone 5 states that I have been using my phone for a certain time, even though I had the phone on standby all night without even touching it.

I charged both of my iphones (4 and 5) to 100% before unplugging it. Went to work, left my iphone 5 on standby on my desk, took the iphone 4 to work since I havent activated my iphone 5 yet. on the way to work I had pandora radio on for about 15 minutes, and browsed facebook, checked emails, ebay, browsed amazon, and various internet sites during my break. I came back home from work and took screenshots of my phone over a span of 2 days.

Now I have iCloud turned off on both, they both had practically the same settings, location services turned on for both. photostream turned off for both. this is the screenshots that I took. Can anyone explain to me whats causing the iphone 5 usage? i had it on standby, yet despite that it says i've been using my phone. doesnt make sense. i even did a hard reset but to no avail. The picture on the left is the iphone 4, and to the right is the iphone 5.

Attached Files:

2. jetlagged thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is another screenshot this morning after getting off work. same deal, i took my iphone 4 to work, used the 3g network to listen to pandora radio, browse facebook, ebay amazon, check emails and browse the internet. came back home to check on my iphone 5 that has been on standby all night.

something is causing battery usage on my iphone 5. now like i said, i even did a hard reset on the iphone 5, closed all the apps. practically same settings as my iphone 4. but battery life dropped despite not being used

Attached Files:

3. jetlagged thread starter macrumors 6502

alrite finally activated my iphone 5 yesterday. will be sending out my iphone 4 32 gb by mail today to its new owner.

anyways once i activated my iphone 5 yesterday fo verizon, i charged it 100 percent and just left it on standby in hope that battery usage wont be affected even when i had the phone sitting on the table all night. i figure i just had to activate it.

well i checked it this morning, it showed 5 minutes of usage. i'm thinking to myself, no way in hell i used 5 minutes of usage during that time, but i said to myself well its a lot better than yesterday, it was being used for more than an hour on standby.

here is the screenshot today after activation. i still dont get what could be causing the usage time on my iphone 5 even though i havent used it for that amount of time.

but overall i'll live with it.

Attached Files:

4. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Usage stats include background tasks such as e-mail checking, automated stat reporting, text messages, push notifications, etc.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with 15 minutes background usage in a 13 hour period. Nothing to be alarmed about and it's perfectly normal. That's basically an hourly e-mail check and a bit of various background activity.

The 1 hour usage in 13 hour standby where you used the phone for a variety of tasks is also perfectly normal.

5. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

You dont really expect the usage to be 0 for those many hours with all kind of background stuff happening ... actually I am very happy with that since it shows the actual usage of the phone ... in hand .. and out !

Same as mine .. overnight ;)

[​IMG]