Battery use worse on iOS 7, how can I tell why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, Oct 9, 2013.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

On my iPhone 5, since iOS 7, the battery is definitely worse. I've done a battery calibration as per Apple tells you, use until it switches off, the charge to 100, but still stays the same really.

I used to have an Android and it told you what was using what battery wise, anything like this on iPhone? I've switched off background refresh, switch off WiFi and BT when not using.

Anything else I can do, or even better find out what is using so much? I haven't done this scientifically, but it's definitely worse now on iOS 7, on my phone anyway, and that's after I've messed around with the new iOS version.

I'm still awaiting my 5s delivery, but unsure if I'm keeping, so want this sorted.
    Thanks

2. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Hmm, I have a 5S now, but by 4S battery didnt change at all when I changed to iOS7. It got the same exactly battery life as it did on iOS6.

3. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

Did you update using OTA? If so then do a Settings, General, Reset All Settings! Just FYI.

4. Gincoma macrumors 6502

The battery life on 5s is better then 5 with iOS7 in my experience if having both maybe the new internals of 5s run iOS7 more effciently then the 5, so I wouldnt give up on the 5s cause of the 5

5. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

did you do a fresh install of iOS7 or restore from backup? I've always done a fresh install as it wont bring over any corrupt data from the previous iOS. worth a shot.

6. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Yes, I think this is why people have bad battery life.

Every time I upgrade to a newer software, I completely restore, and then install and set up as new. Sucks losing everything, but honestly my phone runs better and battery life is great.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Fresh install is just a false myth: this is not windows ...

Said that, I experienced a full 2 hrs usage drop on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.
    Reset network setting didn't solve the problem.
    Reinstall apps didn't solve the problem.
    I tried a "full optional" setting and then I disabled almost everything (Siri, most of localization services, background refresh and so on) and the difference is 10-20 minutes (absolutely negligible).

The problem is real and is definitely caused by iOS 7. I really hope it is a bug that will be fixed soon or later, because if this is just the normal behavior of iOS 7 I'm not happy.

8. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Um, no it's not a myth. DOZENS and DOZENS of people on here have said that after restoring and installing fresh, their problems were over. They must all be lying.

----------

What about all the people (including myself) that ARENT having problems with their battery life on iOS7, does this "bug" some how just not effect us all equally? Hmm. Doesn't make sense.

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Glad it's not just me then. It's defo with either the new iOS and/or features on it.

It was just a standard update over iOS 6, not sure if it makes a difference as a fresh install or not?

I've reset network settings as I was having the iMessage bug that was/is affecting a lot of people to, and that now seems fine.

My 5s order is still in, but tbh I'm a little miffed today to hear Apple boasting that they are rolling out the 5s and 5c to more countries, when there are still '000's of people waiting their 5s order from 20 Sep onwards, what's happened to these orders?

10. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

iOS 7 definitely drains battery quicker than iOS 6. At least that's my experience.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

In theory battery life should get better over time with iOS 7 as more apps get updated to take advantage of all the new power saver features in iOS 7. It'll be interesting to see 6 months from now how everybody is faring.

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If be are voting here, my battery is lasting as long if not longer with the 5S compared to my 5 on iOS 6.