Battery went from bad to worst, anyone who were getting two hours have suggestions?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Pinkstiletto66, May 16, 2013.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

My phone is two weeks old. Started out at six hours with all location on and email push on and normal web browsing. So after researching how to save battery, I turned off all location except for weather. Didn't have a chance to really see if it got better because of the respringing and battery usage blanking out but I remember once getting good time.

I have calibrated my phone. I recently noticed getting terrible battery as well as my phones warm I feel it has something to do with one of the recent cydia apps because things weren't this bad until recently.

Thought it might have been bite SMS (someone in ios section mentioned it) but wasn't because I'm still only getting two in a half hours near three hours max. I'm only doing web browsing. It has to be one of the cydia apps.

Any recommendations? Should I reset? My phone came with 6.1.2 my main thing is keeping tether but everything else can go if it had too. I don't have much major apps so this is puzzling.

2. diegoesk macrumors regular

Well since your JB it could be anything. Did you make sure blue tooth is turned off? Wifi? Also it could cell coverage in your area. After sandy- verizon in my area has suffered tremendously.

3. lukejc1 macrumors 6502

It probably is a tweak you installed. Do you have any pirated apps installed? It might be helpful if you post a list of your installed tweaks.

Also, cell coverage could have a lot to do with it. When I am at my parents house I get really bad cell coverage so my battery drains really fast because my phone never stops searching for a better signal.

4. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Also doubt it is location settings or Bluetooth. I leave all on 24/7 and my phone lasts all day.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

It helps if you post which phone; 4, 4S, 5?

Reseting means losing your jailbreak!

Did you use a backup? If so turn off icloud, imessage and facetime, also uninstall any exchange mail account and reinstall.

Check if all your apps are shuting down properly and dont stay in the background.

6. hafr macrumors 68030

Install SBSettings if you don't already have it, turn off all of the tweaks and turn them on one by one until you find the culprit.

Even a really small tweak can be badly coded and suck your battery dry. I had a tweak that disabled passcode when on the home wifi, it used something like 80 % processor power when the phone was locked, meaning it died fast as all hell...

7. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

-No Bluetooth or wifi on.
    -iPhone 5
    -Coverage is the same from day one I'm at home.
    -What is exchange mail? I do have iCloud but nothing really important is in there. I just have music on my iphone.
    -I will include pictures of what I have installed in Cydia. I recently deleted zoomisback and voice change.
    -Antitheft, Appleglass, and ios7flat theme is not being used.
    -I do have SBS Settings and will go check it out.

Attached Files:

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apparently I have to add each picture on a new page in separate posts. Give me a sec I think I'll just write it down.

9. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

You can just use AppInfo from Cydia to generate a list them copy and paste it in a post. That's what I do.

10. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I think the mere fact that its jailbroken could be taking a toll. I had Siri installed on my iPod touch for quite some time. It caused me to have to recharge my iPod only after 1 and a half hours of use. I uninstalled it and entered a whole world of difference.

Of course, I could be wrong. You can try disabling or removing some tweaks.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

Another thing you could do is install Xcode and use Instruments in there to access your phones activity monitor and see which processes are using insane amount of resources...

12. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yup, exactly. And if he doesn't have a Mac for that or would rather do it from his device, he could run the "top" command in MobileTerminal. He would just need to install the Top package from Cydia first though.

13. Jakebrown macrumors member

I had this problem. I didnt have a huge amount of tweaks installed but i removed all the 'visual' tweaks that do nothing apart from make my phone look pretty. I removed NC setting, Winterboard, widgets in the background, flux, auxo, folder enhancer, iconclasm

My advice is dont tweak for the sake of it, have only practical tweaks that you need

14. hafr macrumors 68030

Well, it wasn't because of NC Settings or f.lux... The thing is, most popular tweaks are pretty well coded and doesn't drain a whole lot of battery. If there should be a problem, they tend to be fixed pretty quick since a lot of people will tell the developer.

Since we're handing out advice ;) Don't install more than one tweak and use the phone for a while before installing the next one. Or troubleshoot by disabling them one by one. It seems like a lot of people install a plethora of tweaks and apps, experience problems and decide to simply uninstall (almost) everything because they think it's some kind of accumulated effect...

15. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great advice, especially deleting one by one. I deleted the tweak iOS 7 flat theme and I feel my battery is better. Will post later since I don't have complete usage yeti battery was recently charged. I will however delete more if I have to. I mainly deleted the ones I definitely weren't using.

----------

Couldn't figure out how to disable them one by one or at all in SBSettings. #

16. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I deleted plenty and this is what I have left.

Attached Files:

17. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Page 2

Attached Files:

18. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Page 3

Attached Files:

19. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Last one. I'm at 59% with 2 hours and 7 mins of actual usage and an hour extra of standby. Just went down to 58%

Attached Files:

20. LithePanther macrumors 6502

I have FAR more jailbreaks installed on my iphone and my battery life is much better then yours.

I don't think you're going to see really great battery without a restore. I know when I was having my battery issues with my old iphone 4 a restore and then re-jailbreaking it with all my stuff nearly doubled the battery life (this was a while ago).

Of course at the moment a restore is the absolute last option. Perhaps buy a battery case instead, so it lasts throughout the day?

21. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I planned on it but still disappointed at 4 hours (that's how much I get after deleting everything.)

I was told I couldn't save my jailbreak if I restored. I googled it. I see the mention of a restore but I'm a bit confused on the entire process.

How do I restore and keep a jailbreak? When I plug in my phone it shows 6.1.2 on the section about my phone.

If I can keep the break I will but if I cant them I can't. I just want to get the right info because I'm hearing that you can save it then I'm hearing you can't.

22. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I recently started having the battery drain issue only because I've added like four new things within a week. I started deleting things but after remember I read someone saying that the new version of Bite SMS caused a battery drain I deleted it and have been fine for these past several hours

23. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

That was the first thing I deleted. Didn't help then deleted about ten others. Went from two hours to my now four hours.

24. DSF macrumors member

From the screenshots I can see you don't have full signal and you're using mobile data..
    What I've observed on mine, browsing via 3g the phone gets hotter and drain battery in about 4 hours.

When browsing via wifi the battery is better

25. hafr macrumors 68030

Ironic that the very first app you have on your list of tweaks and apps can create a list of installed apps and tweaks so that you wouldn't have needed to post several screenshots ;)

You're on 4G with medium reception, five hours of active usage sounds right to me.

----------

Having 3G active, even if you're using wifi, drains the battery faster. Having 3G/4G on at all times when you don't have great reception is a real battery killer.