Battery won't discharge evenly?

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I normally spend 35mins actively using my phone before it drops from 100% to 99%. But the bigger issue is that it does the same thing at 1% battery. I spent 35mins watching YouTube at 1% before it finally crashed.

I've cycled the battery twice and nothing, any other ideas? I can live with it but ideally id like to know how much is left without doing calculations in my head to make up for the discharge difference.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I normally spend 35mins actively using my phone before it drops from 100% to 99%. But the bigger issue is that it does the same thing at 1% battery. I spent 35mins watching YouTube at 1% before it finally crashed.

I've cycled the battery twice and nothing, any other ideas? I can live with it but ideally id like to know how much is left without doing calculations in my head to make up for the discharge difference.
Rather than doing this, why not just use and enjoy your phone.

It is just like your gas gauge, when it say Empty, you could still have 5 gallons left!

johnowenrichard

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
South Wales, UK
Mine does the same thing at 100%, it lasts for around 15 minutes or more. Not too sure about 1% yet, I haven't let it drop that low. I'm hoping that the more charges it takes the more even the discharge will be (although i'm unsure if thats supported by any real science). Only time will tell!

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I can't risk "mistiming" my gas light because I use my phone for work. I called apple and they said resetting phone will reset it. We'll find out tomorrow I guess.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Which is it? You can live with it or you can risk it?
I see what you did there but you're quoting two different posts. I cannot risk my phone dying during the work day as I'm often away from my office. However, I can "live with it" as in I can work around it by calculating how long the 1% battery lasts and factoring that into my work day and whether or not I charge it at a specific time. It's just an inconvenience and Apple agrees: they said reset should fix it or I can take it back.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I see what you did there but you're quoting two different posts. I cannot risk my phone dying during the work day as I'm often away from my office. However, I can "live with it" as in I can work around it by calculating how long the 1% battery lasts and factoring that into my work day and whether or not I charge it at a specific time. It's just an inconvenience and Apple agrees: they said reset should fix it or I can take it back.
Its pretty obvious that my quotes came from two different posts since I left the post information that they came from in the quote. By living with it you are taking a risk.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Completely normal. Every iPhone has done this. It would stay at 100% until about 15-30 minutes of usage and stay at 1% for a decent amount of time( for the rare times I drained it all the way).

Plus, the percentage remaining is a rough estimate of how much your battery has left. It's not going to be accurate down to the tee.