Battery won't discharge evenly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by divisionbuyzero, Sep 24, 2012.

1. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

I normally spend 35mins actively using my phone before it drops from 100% to 99%. But the bigger issue is that it does the same thing at 1% battery. I spent 35mins watching YouTube at 1% before it finally crashed.

I've cycled the battery twice and nothing, any other ideas? I can live with it but ideally id like to know how much is left without doing calculations in my head to make up for the discharge difference.

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Rather than doing this, why not just use and enjoy your phone.

It is just like your gas gauge, when it say Empty, you could still have 5 gallons left!

3. johnowenrichard macrumors newbie

Mine does the same thing at 100%, it lasts for around 15 minutes or more. Not too sure about 1% yet, I haven't let it drop that low. I'm hoping that the more charges it takes the more even the discharge will be (although i'm unsure if thats supported by any real science). Only time will tell!

4. divisionbuyzero thread starter macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

I can't risk "mistiming" my gas light because I use my phone for work. I called apple and they said resetting phone will reset it. We'll find out tomorrow I guess.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Which is it? You can live with it or you can risk it?

6. divisionbuyzero thread starter macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

I see what you did there but you're quoting two different posts. I cannot risk my phone dying during the work day as I'm often away from my office. However, I can "live with it" as in I can work around it by calculating how long the 1% battery lasts and factoring that into my work day and whether or not I charge it at a specific time. It's just an inconvenience and Apple agrees: they said reset should fix it or I can take it back.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Its pretty obvious that my quotes came from two different posts since I left the post information that they came from in the quote. By living with it you are taking a risk.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Completely normal. Every iPhone has done this. It would stay at 100% until about 15-30 minutes of usage and stay at 1% for a decent amount of time( for the rare times I drained it all the way).

Plus, the percentage remaining is a rough estimate of how much your battery has left. It's not going to be accurate down to the tee.

9. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Lithium batteries don't discharge evenly so your battery is perfectly normal, as is the phone.